Tristan sits in silence for a moment before he finally says anything.

"Is this a joke?" He asks.

"Unfortunately, no it's not Tristan." We both turn our heads to see Chloe standing in the door frame to our room.

"I.. I don't understand what's going on?" Tristan finally speaks up.

Chloe sighs. She walks up to us and we both gasp, her pupils are grey, instead of their normal brown color. They then switch back, as if they never changed.

"What has she told you?" Chloe asks as she sits in her chair across from us.

"Basically that wolves are real." Tristan says, shocked to hear the words come out of his mouth. I couldn't blame him. It was bizarre, to think fictional characters we watched movies and read books over were real, living among us.

"But she hasn't told you anything else?" Chloe gives me a look and I avert my eyes from hers.

How could? How could I tell the love of my life, the guy I thought I'd grow old with and sit on rocking chairs on our front porch sipping lemonade, that someone else was trying to savagely claim me as his?

"What else is there to tell?" Chloe and I are both silent. "Hadley?"

"I...I can't. It doesn't change anything Tristan. I love you." I finally say, not meeting his eyes.

"What aren't you telling me?" Tristan grabs my hand and gives it a squeeze.

"My brother, Alec, is her mate. As in soul mate, someone that was born and destined to be with him and him her." Chloe explains for me.

The room is silent. Chloe waiting for Tristan's response. Me praying that a black hole would swallow me up. And then Tristan, whose face is slowly turning red with anger.

"No. No this is wrong." Tristan exclaims. "How can you expect her to give someone up for someone she barely knows?"

Chloe growls at him. "That's my brother you're talking about." Her eyes change color again before she closes them and takes a deep breath to compose herself. "I understand this is hard for you both to believe, but.. he needs her. I'm sure he can give you both some time, but it can't be much."

"Chloe, I don't need time, I'm sorry but I love Tristan." I grab his hand and give it a reassuring squeeze.

A knock comes from the door. "Come in!" Chloe says.

I freeze as Alec walks into the room. No one says a word as he goes to sit above Chloe on her bed.  He looks like a giant compared to her.

Tristan gulps beside me, seeing how big Alec is compared to him. "I'm guessing you're Alec?" He asks.

Alec glares at him and nods. "And I'm guessing you're the boyfriend?" He spits.

"Yes, Alec." I sneer. "This is my boyfriend. If you're not going to treat him with respect then you can leave."

"This is my sisters dorm room, I have every right to be in here." He sits back with a smirk.

Chloe rolls her eyes. "Alec, if you're going to be in my room then be useful. This is only going to work if we can talk like civil humans." She gestures at all of us.

"That's the problem, we're not humans. We're wolves." Alec replies.

"But some of us didn't grow up that life. It's not our fault we know nothing about your world." Tristan speaks up. "Is there any way, any way that you can pick someone, anyone else?"

"No." Alec sighs, slightly letting his guard down. "Tristan, right?" Tristan nods. "I thank you, for watching out for my mate, for caring for her, and..and even for loving her. But would you really deny her the life of living with her soul mate? The man that was made for her?"

Tristan's quiet. "I...I don't know what to say." He whispers.

Alec sits there for a moment in thought and then stands up. "I could use a drink, you?" He looks over at Tristan and motions for the door.

"No, Tristan don't go with him." I make a grab to keep him on the bed, but he quickly strides over to the door.

"I'll be okay Lee." With a sad smile he shuts the door behind him.

God, please don't let the big bad wolf eat my boyfriend.

.....