Chapter 10.

"Lana." Alistair says, his voice almost as a whisper. His breath fans my face, our faces mere inches away from each other. I'm once more held in a trance by those green eyes of his as he stares into my eyes.

He's on top of me, while I lay on my bed, and begins to lean down towards my lips. I shut my eyes and wait for the contact but then immediately open them and scream.

"Blimey. I'm even seeing him in me dreams now." I said after screaming and sitting up in bed. What even was going on with me?

I felt ashamed of myself for having such a dream and with that, I got out of bed and ready for the day.

A knock sounded on my door and Finlay's head peeked through. "How are yer feeling Captain?" He asked me with a small smile.

I returned the smile and placed my sword in my hip belt. "I'm feeling great. The hot spring bath really helped. I slept so well." I chuckled. It's probably best to keep the details of my dream to myself.

Finlay kept looking at me and I folded my arms. "Is something wrong?" He was acting weird and seemed nervous.

"Are yer busy today? I'd like to steal yer before Captain Alistair." My eyes widened at his statement and I scoffed.

"What do yer mean steal me? Funny man yer are Finlay." I chuckled awkwardly and he looked down before looking back at me while his hands remained behind his back.

"Shall we go for a walk? I have something to tell yer."

"Sure." I replied and made my way out of my room. We walked out of the ship and walked on the sand on the island, taking slow steps, but he wasn't saying anything. I looked at his face but his expression was scrunched like he was trying to collect his thoughts.

I opened my mouth to talk when he suddenly spoke. "Captain. We've known each other for a long time now."

He paused and I said. "Right. Almost 6 years."

He stopped walking but looked straight ahead and exhaled. "I didn't want to say anything before, but I felt I had to say it now before it's too late."

I stared at him, concern on my face, and waiting for him to tell me what was wrong. "I...I have feelings for yer. I like yer Captain. Not just because we're friends, but because I see yer as a woman. I always have."

I was speechless. I didn't know what I was to expect but this was not it. I suddenly felt bad. He had been keeping this inside of him for years. How it must have hurt.

"Finlay-" He put a hand up to cut me off and laughed.

"Let me prepare myself for the rejection. I know yer beginning to like Captain Alistair. You gave him the same look you gave Captain Jack. But this time, it seems different."

He wasn't looking at me. In fact, he looked everywhere else besides my face. I clenched and unclenched my fists before speaking again.

"Finlay. I'm sorry. Yer know I care about yer so much and love yer dearly. I'm sorry I don't love yer the exact way yer do me. Even more sorry I couldn't spot the signs earlier." His expression looked so torn and he was nothing like the bright Finlay I knew right now.

My heart ached as I hurt the closest person to me. After a couple of moments, he gave me a forced smile and said. "It's alright. I was the one who was too much of a coward to express my feelings earlier."

His eyes were getting glassy and I couldn't beat seeing this side of him. I walked towards him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, embracing him. I heard him sniffle on my shoulder and fought the tears that threatened to fall.