Chapter 13.

As we reached the island, the rain was coming to a halt and the skies were clearing up. Alistair was still unconscious.

His heart was beating and he was breathing but he wasn't waking up. We moved him to his room and I sat on his bed while holding his hand. I decided to examine his injuries and they were mostly bruises from physical combat and a gnash on his left hand.
The back of his head seemed to be bleeding and I suppose he had struck his head against something under the water.

"We need to get yer wounds treated first." I murmured to myself and began sitting him up when a knock was heard on the door.

Alistair's man entered the room and said. "The mermaids are out there. They asked to see Captain, especially Pearl." I got to my feet as the man helped Alistair walk up the deck and I assisted from my own side.

After a difficult descent down the ladder with Alistair, we were met with a worried Pearl who sat in the water, where the ship had been anchored.

"Lay him here." She said softly, patting the sand in front of her.

We did as she said and again with the help of some men, we lay a pale-looking Alistair on the sand. Pearl placed a palm against his head and another on his chest. She remained like that for a couple of minutes and I wondered what she was doing.

"His brain and heart seem to be doing alright. He hit his head pretty badly underwater. That's most likely the reason for his unconsciousness. It seems he's stuck in a deep sleep, memories I'm guessing. There's no need for alarm, he should wake up soon." I nodded my head and was thankful he wasn't in some sort of coma or something and would be conscious soon enough.

"Now I'll just quickly heal up his wounds..." Pearl continued and placed her hand on the places where he had been injured, most of the cuts sealing up without scars, asides from the one on his arm and the back of his head.

"I've stitched up his cuts, but because he was underwater for so long, we have to monitor the ones on his arm and head for a few days and someone has to keep a close eye on him to change his dressings." Pearl spoke professionally and looked at me when saying the last part. It's almost like she was a doctor.

I nodded again and asked her. "How did yer...yer know, everything?"

"Mermaid powers. As good of regenerative abilities we have, we are also able to heal human wounds. We're able to make diagnoses, kind of. Know what parts are broken, injured, bleeding internally, and whatnot. It's part of the mermaid training we take once we turn 16. Humans actually consulted my people many times when they needed help with medical situations. It's also the reason those pirates ambushed us. I fear we are no longer safe here. Alistair even got hurt because of us."

She looked down at Alistair, no doubt guilt filling her. It wasn't her fault. It wasn't any of the merfolk's fault. It's the greedy ones who wanted to conceive the powers for themselves.

Anyways, I was glad everything had simmered down for now. Pearl said he was going to wake up soon and that he was only dreaming. I wish that were the case.

"Please carry a mattress and some clothes to the treehouse." I said to Alistair's crew that looked at their Captain with sad eyes.

They gave me a curt nod and walked toward the ship after I had spoken and I directed my attention toward Pearl. "Thank yer, Pearl. I fear he would've been in serious trouble had yer not intervened."

"It's nothing. It's the least I could do after he fought for us against Rick." She said and scooted closer into the water until her tail was fully submerged under the pale red water.

"Yer know that man? " I asked curiously.

"Of course. He was the one who helped Alistair build this ship. They became distant after a reason known only to them. Although I think it had to do with the difference in goals they had."