Jordyn XXII

It's been a few days since Mama came around and helped me with the aftermath of the meltdown. I just felt so overwhelmed and it need to come out. But it's safe to say that I am okay now, and today is the day that I will sort this nonsense out with Turner. Its either he grows up or he gets lost. I will not tolerate bullying.

I walk into work, my face stoic. Chelsea got up early this morning so she could give me a pep talk. She's my labrador girlfriend, I love her.

The girls know that today I mean business, usually they would give me smiles and hugs, but not today. They know I'm serious.

I call my team in for the morning lineup.

"Alright. Here's today's business. Hughes, Veasquez and Miller, you're doing the vehicle maintainance. Smith, Johnson and Aquita, you are mopping floors. Pierce, Gibson and Richards, dusting everything, not a particle in sight. Matthews, Warren and Andrews, equipment maintainance. Smith and Wilson, kitchen and lounge maintaince. Am I clear?" I order.

I receive nods and 'yes captain's. That leaves me with Turner.

"Off you go. To your duties." I say and they all depart. Turner stays behind, since I haven't given him a job today.

"You didn't give me a job, fatty. Has that sugar and fat gone to your head and made you stupid?"

Never in my measly twenty-two years have I heard so much disrespect in one sentence.

"Come to my office, Turner." I demand.

He scoffs but follows as I walk towards my office. If only he knew I was about to rip him a new one.

We both walk in and I shut the door. Turner sits down and I'm not having it.

"I didn't say you could sit down. Stand back up." I say. He does so.

"So you do know how to listen? Funny. How come you don't listen to me when we're on calls, when people are in danger?"

I get nothing but silence back.

"And how come you constantly degrade me in front of my colleagues. Calling me silly names and commenting on my weight? Which is only above average because I work out. Its all muscle. And why is it you feel the need to take my own food from me? Can you not provide for yourself? Oh wait, no, I forgot. You still live in your mother's house. And you are, how old?"

He remains silent.

"I asked you a question."

"Thirty-two." he mumbles.

"Wow. You have job that offers decent pay and you still live with your mother. You have no independence in your life. You have no excuse."

"So what if I live with my mother. There's nothing wrong with it!" he challenges.

"You're right, but in your case, there is. Like I said, no independence. You don't make your own food, I doubt you wash your own clothes and do you do your shopping? Or does your mother do that? Do you pay your bills?"

"What's your angle here?" he asks.

"My angle is that you are such an insecure little bitch and taking it out on me. You such a dependent little brat that you have to steal food from me. You are disappointed with yourself that you don't listen to me when people could die. My angle is that you need to grow the fuck up, or I'll have to take it to the Chief. I can't have an irresponsible firefighter on my hands. And you have me messed up if you think that I'm gonna let you bring my team, my family, down because a guy is so insecure about himself." I rant.

"Fuck you. You only got the job because of your sister." he insults.

"Oooh, ouch. That hurt." I reply, sarcasm dripping from my mouth. "No, I got the job because I deserve it. I got the job because I am responsible, loyal and a good leader. You don't even hold a rank because your attitude stinks, you are disrespectful, the team has to carry your dead ass weight and you can't even listen to simple instructions. Get it together, or get out."

"Whatever." he mutters as he storms out, slamming my door.

"What a fool." I whisper to myself.

"Hey, Captian? You okay in here?" Camilla says softly from my door.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I say.

"Would you like a coffee and maybe a bit of toast?" she suggests.

"This is why you are my favourite Lieutenant." I smile at her.

"I'm your only Lieutenant." she reminds me. She leaves my office and I'm left to my thoughts.

I need to promote someone soon. Maybe more. I'm guessing two or three. I think I'll talk it over with Camilla.

I get some paper work done and now I'm pretty much on top and caught up with everything. I start reviewing all of my fire fighters records and the things they do around the fire house.

Camilla walks in with my toast and coffee and wears a curious expression.

"What're you doing?" she questions.

"Promotions." I huff.

"Oh." she says.

"I actually need your help, you get a say as much as I do. Close the door."

She does so and sits across from me.

"Just so you know, the engines are clean and I told the other two to go help the others with their chores." she tells me.

"Thank you. I'm glad someone has common sense."

"So, who are you thinking?"

"Vic Hughes or Hazel Johnson."

"Can't you do both?"

"Well yeah, but then the boys need someone as well. They can't confront girls with boy problems."

"What's the max amount here?"

"I need four Lieutenants and I've already got one." I gesture to her.

"Well, I'd say, Hughes, Johnson and Miller. He's so responsible and he's like a big brother to everyone." Camilla suggests.

"Okay. I want to make sure that they're all up for it. But I don't want it to be obvious. I want to surprise them." I smile to myself.

"You could get everyone to do a speech on why they think they should be promoted. Then it won't seem like we just had this conversation and already chosen who we want." Camilla says.

"That's good." I praise. "How's the wife and kids?" I joke.

"She has one kid and we're not married. They're fine. What about your babe? Is she okay?"

"Yeah. I think. If she's not then she's really good at hiding it."

"Huh. Lucy never shuts up about you. It's always, Auntie Jordyn this or Auntie Jordyn that."

"Aw. She misses me." I say.

"Yeah she does. You're great with kids, Jordie. I just admit." she says.

"I know. I get it from my Mama." I grin.