Chapter 21: Butterfly (Hope) in the Dark

The Life and Times of an Average Coward

Chapter 21: Butterfly (Hope) in the Dark

*-*-*-*-*

"Oh, so we're going to a mo-mountain of de-demons that work to-together, huh?"

~Yes, that's what I got from the network.~

I swallowed down the snack that we just shared earlier with difficulty, smiling – well, more like grimacing – to Tantan in reassurance. It didn't work just as I thought, even Inocchi's sound is worried.

What am I even doing, we're going to arrive earlier than expected to our destination because Inocchi thought it would be cool to see who's the fastest out of us three, the only reason I even agreed to the stupid competition is to get my mind off to our current predicament and Tantan agreed because why the fuck not? But alas, I am stupid, because of that stupid competition we are going to make it to the demonic mountain earlier than expected.

Which I should have seen coming, since it is supposed to be our mission site.

Fuck.

"Oi bird! What did you say to Renitsu to make her scared?!"

"Inocchi don't! Ukogi is my partner!"

~Sen help!~

"Inocchi don't!"

"Inosuke no!"

"Inosuke yes! It made Ventosa cry!"

"Who the freak even is Ventosa?! I'm not a freaking massage therapy!"

"Gahahahahahaha!"

~HEEEELP!!!~

*-*-*-*-*

We settled down eventually. Ukogi permanently scarred and has now resolutely taken to either, burrowing close to my neck, or flying out Inocchi's reaching range.

Not that I blame him.

Now that I think about it, where's Inocchi's avian partner?

He cannot not have one. All demon slayers in the organization has to have one Kasugaigarasu, for communications and intel. They're essential, for a demon slayer since that's how they get information for their next extermination task. And Inocchi must have one, regardless of his wishes to not have one. Oya-sama and Kurotsuki said as much when I asked.

So, where is Inocchi's partner exactly?

"Inocchi, where's your bird partner?"

The boy just continued to sulk, kicking a pebble moodily. He's been like this since we've finished lecturing him.

"You didn't eat him, did you?" Tantan asked cautiously, his loud crow partner eyeing Inocchi.

"...mfff, shu– ek stu ber..."

I whipped my head towards him fully then just sighed, there's no use getting worked up for it.

"Don't worry Tantan, the poor bird managed to escape him before he could do more. He said that it only gives him information on where he should go next before flying away."

Of course, Tantan won't just let that go.

"INOSUKE!"

Ahhh... is this how our dynamic is going to be?

"–ould say sorry to the poor thing and repent thorou–"

Sounds exhausting.

"SHUDDUP! I GET IT ALREADY! HEY YOU, THIS IS YOUR FAULT! YOU STARTED THIS!"