Chapter 12: Face your Fears

The Life and Times of an Average Coward

Chapter 12: Face your Fears

Warning: I wasn't able to proof read this because I want to sleep.

*-*-*-*-*

The bustling city of Asakusa, Tokyo.

Tall buildings, crowded streets with different people walking alongside each other, some wearing western clothes but majority were still sticking to tradition, different savory scents from food stalls lingered and different sounds came from all over the place. It was bright despite being nighttime, lanterns and a few scant electric bulbs can be seen everywhere, illuminating the busy streets and cementing the fact that this city is the capital of activity even in nighttime.

To say the least, it was a bit overwhelming after living my life in a small village. This place is a far cry from the nearby fairly modernized town around our area where I rode a train to get here.

It's like looking back at modern Tokyo, when Mama and I visited some relatives. I don't remember much of it anymore since I was only eight back then, but I remember having the same overwhelmed feeling as I am feeling right now.

Ukogi's soft chirping brought me back to reality, doing the total concentration breathing, I exhaled all of my anxiety out as I smiled and nodded to him.

This is where my first mission is located, and from what I've been told, it's a pair of demons who had always worked together somehow as a symbiotic unit, both preferring young mothers as their meals.

The premise of my targets was a horrifying reminder of the demons who ate Kaa-san and Tsutako-nee (who I think was mistaken as Yuu's mother according to his retelling), the ones who attacked Daiki-ojiichan and left to die.

It's probably not them, I'm probably just looking too much into it.

Shaking my head and slapping my cheeks repeatedly, I carefully ignored the funny looks I'm getting. I methodically did my concentrated breaths once again to keep my head clear.

I can't afford to panic. This is important, human lives are at stake, if I don't do my job right someone would get hurt.

Breathing exercise done, I straightened my yukata turned haori while simultaneously looking down at the standard issue uniform if there were any creases.

~Are you okay?~

"Yep," I sighed. "And I'll try to stay okay."

~You don't have to worry too much Zenitsu, Oyakata-sama sent you as a reinforcement to the person in command of the mission. And that person in charge is a Hashira, so just do your best to do your part!~

"Okay, you're right."

Bad thoughts off. Bad thoughts off. I need to stay calm; lives are at stake here.

Dread gripped my heart once again when the familiar sound of a demon reached my ears. I looked towards the right when a distinct distorted sound came shrieking like a beacon.

Cold sweat trickled down my brow as my whole body froze in fear.

There's not one, but two of them.

I need to move. Desperately, I tried to move my fingers like the first thing that I'd do when I'm under sleep paralysis. And just like when I'm having a nightmare, it was getting harder and harder to breat―

"KAA-CHAN! NOOOO!" "MAYAAA!!!" "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!! SOMEBODY HE―"

The fearful screams from the distance rang through my ears yet the people all around me remained passive about it, likely not hearing the cries for help and the visceral sound of despair it carried.