Chapter 9: Here Goes Nothing

The Life and Times of an Average Coward

Chapter 09: Here Goes Nothing

Warnings: Misspellings, possible wrong grammar (because as stated, not my first language), foul language and racism (I'm Asian too, please don't kill me)

'thoughts'

("Thoughts that she cannot hear or have ignored.")

("This are statements from the past in her first life.")

"Memories/flashback"

*-*-*-*-*

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

You're fine, you're fine, you're fine.

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

You're alive Sen. Still alive, still breathing.

The bush from the far left rustled, making me jump a few inches and give a small 'eep' sound. Straining my ears for any familiar discord filled sound, I sighed in relief when I found out that there isn't any demon for around a hundred meters away.

It was just the wind.

It's okay. It's fine. So far, you're doing great. You can do this Sen, everyone believes in you. You can absolutely come out of this alive. You've endured a lot; you've gone through all that hell training and you will pass this thing! And it doesn't help that Kai will probably kick my ass if I don't pass this thing, he'd shove his achievement of passing this horrible exam to my face and I don't know if I could withhold myself from punching his kidneys.

With one last exhale, I steeled myself and ventured further through the forest filled with man-eating creatures and other fellow hopefuls. My hands were still undoubtfully shaking, heck, my whole body is shivering in fear. Thoughts of all the possible worst-case scenarios flew through my head endlessly as I take careful baby steps after baby steps.

(Brains getting sucked out through the ears. Eaten alive and left half-eaten to suffer. Getting the limbs unattached like a sick version of a broken barbie doll. Entrails taken out in the most gruesome of ways.)

Gah, brain, why don't you shut your negative thoughts out, it's clearly not helping. All you have to do is focus, remain sharp and think of ways to keep your freaking body breathing.

But then again, who am I fooling? The only best bet for me to survive is to runaway and avoid the demons, but even I don't know how long my luck would hold because one way or another, I'm still going to run into one soon enough. And knowing how Life like to pull the rug under me, it would most likely happen when I'm unguarded and totally unaware. Someone up there is probably laughing their asses off at my predicament, most likely ROB, ROBi and ROA. The Random Omnipotent beings out there is just out to get me.

Weak, pitiful, cowardly me is just praying that this week wouldn't be the last week that I would be able to spend in this backwards Japan, God knows those dorks waiting for me would go ballistic if I get my ass killed with an exam.

*-*-*-*-*

Dear Ritsu,

Hello Ritsu, and yes, I have received your letters. I'm sorry if I forget to reply sometimes but I'm doing good. I'm fine, so stop worrying already, I'm not a weakling you know? Your gifts are really useful and I use them everyday, always keeping them with me. Because of the pen and the journal, I don't forget most things so much anymore and it's all thanks to your wonderful gifts.