Chapter 05: Meeting the Fox and the Tengu

The Life and Times of an Average Coward

Chapter 05: Meeting The Fox and The Tengu

*-*-*-*-*

The process of grieving was a painstaking task to go over by just two children —one being an inept teen which was obviously me—that is much that I can tell you. Yuu acts as the pillar between the two of us, taking it as his personal responsibility to take care of our well-being for he is the eldest. Not that I'd do a great job of taking responsibility since I often avoid responsibility like it was the grossest thing on Earth.

I hadn't touched 'responsibility' with a hundred meter pole in my past, "always be the follower never become the leader" that had always been my go to motto, it makes living a whole lot easier and less likely for complications. My death and my decision to learn the piano were the most prominent of the times when I took responsibility over something. Most of the others were also pertaining to me or only for the few exceptions that I could afford, being a daughter and a granddaughter was one of them.

I'm an irresponsible coward okay?

You can judge me with your eyes as much as you want and I won t give two shits about it as long as it doesn't kill me. Or if there really is a way to properly kill me.

(Is it just me or am I cussing more and more? I blame Daiki-ojiichan for this, it s all his influence I swear! Or maybe it's my brain's way of coping with the loss of the man in my life. If that's it, then I wouldn't mind being a sweary teenager. But not now, since I'm biologically still a toddler, Yuu would probably have a heart attack.)

Going through the five stages of grief again was a bitch and a half. Yuu just going straight up to anger then to acceptance like nobody's business was scary, if his face was untwitching before then I can say that it's all but a perfect imitation of a glacier.

(Is that my fault? Did I do that to him?)

Jesus, a kid shouldn't be so emotionless. I would take a tantrum and a rage fest any day rather than this. I would rather take a socially awkward Yuu rather than an emotionless Yuu for the rest of my life. He's important to me like Kaa-san was, say it what you will but he's like a brother to me and I would go through the lengths just to keep him safe my fear be damned.

He's the only one I have now an selfish girl. If I have to cling to him like Pooh does to his honey jar then I would, not even the threat of Pennywise making me float if I don't let go would dissuade me and I have a giant fear against those jokesters with painted faces.

"Short steps, deep breaths."

I looked down at Yuu from my lap, where I managed to threaten him to lay down or I'll screech 'till I spit out my larynx if I have to, he caught on that I'm not kidding when I started to scream loudly enough to wake the dead.

I think that he's also just humoring me, probably noting that I'd been a bit antsy for the past days. He'd always been perceptive like that when it comes to my own fluctuating emotion, even more so than I do.

"Everything is alright,

Chin up, I can't

Step into the spotlight."

I started petting Yuu's surprisingly silky hair, carding my fingers through his unbound tresses reminding me of times when I used to play with Kaa-san s hair. I think he s going to grow it out as another physical reminder of Tsu-nee aside from his red yukata.