Chapter 7: Return of Prince Jerkface

If Marcy were in my current position, I am pretty sure everyone within a five mile radius would no longer have use of their eardrums from her fan girl screams.

But of course, I was the one to be in this unfortunate situation.

I blinked.

A second went by.

I blinked again.

He was still there and he was staring at me with a blank expression. I blinked a third time and he finally ran out of patience. "Well aren't you going to do something?! Check out the book to me, maybe?" I roll my eyes, finally snapping out of my stupor.

"Right. You, Prince Ace, want to check out a book about--" I trail off as I tilt my head to look at the cover of the book. "Pretty Pink...Princesses?" I stared at him before snorting. "What are you, five?"

He gave me a bored look. "Because that's the only problem here. Not that I'm also a guy."

"Hey, I won't judge. But, I did not expect you to be into this kind of stuff." I mused. Ace glared at me.

"That's because I'm not." He snapped. "It's for my cousin. Who is a girl."

I shook my head. "Details, details." I leaned a little closer. "I think we both know who the book is really for. When you're ready to tell someone about it, I'll be here."

He continued to glower at me. "Not funny. Now, check out the book."

I tilted my head to the side. "Try again." I said.

He raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"That's not how you ask for something. Try again." I scolded. This was fun.

Ace braced his hands on the counter. I couldn't help but notice how intimidating he was. I felt small compared to him. "I'm not asking again. Give. Me. The. Book." He growled.

I decided to play it cool instead of cowering away. I mean, the guy could have me tied up and shipped to Timbuktu by tomorrow.

But leave it to me to screw crap around.

I grabbed the book and pushed it into my lap. "Yeah, not gonna happen."

Take that, you jerk!

His face tightened and I tried to hide my flinch with a cough. Ace saw right through it though and he started smirking. "Book. Now."

"Sorry, no can do. But I do hope you enjoyed your visit. You are dismissed, good sir." I duck down and hide the book under my desk, pretending to put it in the returned bin.

I straightened up in my seat. "You may show yourself out...unless you're having trouble finding the door?" I said innocently, tilting my head to the side.

Ace ran a frustrated hand down his face. I admit, I was having way too much fun with this. He looked back at me, his blue eyes filled with annoyance. "You are such a child."

"I beg to differ. You can't even say please when asking for a book." I said casually. "Now, if you'll excuse me-"

I didn't get to finish my sentence because as soon as I tried to stand up, Ace grabbed my wrist. I jumped in surprise, nearly letting out a squeak, before my eyes snapped to his. He said nothing at first, just pulled me forward a few inches. My eyes had widened slightly in shock and I tried not to gape at him. He lowered his head so we were the same height.

"Can I have the book now," He asked lowly, "please?"

At first, I couldn't believe what he had said. Then I came to my senses and pulled away. I felt slightly flustered as I realized that there was most likely a red blush on my cheeks.

I am pretty sure Ace noticed, because I saw the hint of a smirk on his lips.

"Fine." I said quietly. I checked the book out before handing him the book.

Ace took a step back from the counter. "Thank you, princess."

Oh, so now he has manners.

I gave him a flat look. "Whatever." I muttered.

"See you around, princess." Ace stated.

"Not likely," I mumbled under my breath. He must have heard me, because he grinned slightly before he headed out the door.

I sat in my chair, now completely alone in the library, with only one thought running through my head.

Did that really just happen?

***

I paced back and forth in front of Terri's laptop.

I was anxious.

Well, whenever I look at my email I am, even if I know there is probably nothing there. I still felt something stir in my stomach. Something like excitement and nervousness. I carefully glanced around me. The terrible three weren't gone yet. They were still getting ready for the meet and greet with the king and queen. I just couldn't wait to check again.

I opened the laptop and logged onto my own account. My heart sped up a bit when I saw a red circle with a 1 in it on my inbox signaling that I had a new email.

It might be nothing.

But...

I bit my lip nervously as I moved the cursor over to the inbox button. Clicking it, I waited silently.

My eyes widened when they saw the new email.

From: Cal's Diner
Subject: Job Application

Dear Ms. Tyler,

Your application to Cal's Diner has been accepted...

My jaw dropped from just that single sentence. I sucked in a breath.

I got the job!

I did it!

I read through the rest of the email. I was going to be a waitress in two days! I suddenly felt giddy.

"Ella!" Terri's voice rang through the hallway. "Get over here and take our bags to the car!"

I didn't frown. I didn't sigh. I didn't roll my eyes or even scream in frustration.

I was happy. Happy that soon I didn't have to listen to them anymore.

So instead I shut my laptop.

I smiled widely. "I'm coming!"

***

Yo.

So super short chapter, I know. But hopefully it was enjoyable.

What do you guys think of Ace?

Any thoughts on the chapter?

I appreciate feedback!

Thanks for readin!

~Sasha