Chapter 13: Eavesdropping

I stared at Will, his offer racking up questions in my brain.

Why do they want to do this? What will it accomplish? Why do they need me? How would I even get close enough to take the slipper.

And why do they need a slipper?

Then I remembered something: Will said that it was diamond. Of course they would want to steal a slipper made of diamonds.

It only took me a minute to decide what to do.

I would not help them steal anything.

An object that belongs to a royal, no less.

But I couldn't let them know so soon.

I tried my best to play it off casually. "Can I have time to think it over?"

Will and Wes exchanged a glance. "A day." Will answered curtly. "Thank you for considering, Ms. Tyler." He said, motioning to the wooden door behind me. "You are free to leave."

I gave him a fake smile, hoping it looked real enough to fool him. I turned without a word, exiting the room. Wes's voice spoke quietly to Will before I heard his footsteps follow me out. I snuck one last glance at my surroundings before leaving the hallway of doors.

"Do you know the way back?" Wes asked as soon as we left the shop.

I sighed. "I've walked the roads of this city countless times. I'm sure I'll eventually get home."

Wes was silent, waiting a moment before speaking. "Remember: you have one day to give us your final answer."

"If I did reject the contract, what would happen exactly?"

Wes scratched the back of his head. "I told you all you had to do was talk and consider it, so I guess nothing. But, we really do need your help."

"Why me? What do I have that other people don't have?"

"You are smart. You are quick. Idiotic at times, yes-" I glared. "but-you have a strong heart. You seem to know self defense, which is important." He said then added, "I don't know you, but from what I've seen so far, you would be perfect for the job."

Wes turned, his hand on the door handle when I reached out to stop him. "How can I trust you?"

He looked back at me. "I suppose from your point of view, you can't. But it's your choice, Storm. Either stay with your boring life, scraping any job you can find to make a living...or go on an adventure."

With that, the blue eyed boy threw me a small smirk and strode back into the rundown building.

I stood alone in the darkness thinking over the packet one more time. I blinked and shook my head, setting off to get home.

There's no way.

***

I got back to the house quickly and safely, which is no surprise since the town is also relatively safe, save the random prince-that-looks-like-a-hobo walking the streets. Not only that, but it wasn't the first time I had gone out at night.

Terri was up watching t.v. on the couch, though she seemed to be close to falling asleep. I was somehow able to get to my room without any trouble, just a groggy complaint about the freezing temperature of the house.

I flopped down onto the uncomfortable bed and sighed, placing my arm over my eyes. I couldn't help but continue to stress over what Will and Wes had told me.