Chapter 10: Backstabbing Snitches

I stood still as I looked at myself in Alana's floor length mirror. I had brushed my messy and extremely frizzy hair out so it laid straight down my shoulders stopping at the middle of my back. The dark brown coloring had a orangish tint to it where the sun hit it though the open window across the room. My slightly tanned skin almost glowed as bright as my smile that spread on my face. I couldn't keep it off no matter how hard I tried. I felt so giddy and anxious. A long lost spark shone in my dark coffee colored eyes.

Hope.

I haven't been this happy in who knows how long. I took a few calming breaths and smoothed my light blue blouse. My worn out jeans had become brighter over time, so it was also a washed out sky blue. I pulled all of my hair to the left side of my neck before braiding it. I ran a hand through my side bangs so they were on the left as well before putting on a small amount of lip gloss on my dark pink lips. I smiled again, showing off my white teeth.

I had gotten another email from Cal's Diner that said I had to go to train in the daytime once before I would start my night shifts that would last from five until nine on Wednesdays to Sundays.

I hadn't been able to stop thinking about it since.

This is it.

This is when my life finally would change.

I looked over myself one more time before walking out the door.

***

Cal's Diner was farther away than I had previously assumed.

I had walked about twenty minutes before I finally reached it. I stopped in front of the small, cozy looking building. It was nice. The glass windows were lit with a few neon signs advertising food specials. I saw a small 'help wanted' sign on the bottom left corner of the glass. Suddenly, it was taken off. I glanced up to see a man in his thirties standing with the sign in his hand. His eyes connected with mine and he jerked his head to the side, signaling me to go in.

I nodded and took the last few steps required to make it into the building.

I grabbed the handle but hesitated. I took a deep breath and pulled open the door.

A rush of air blasted in my face, making my hair whip around my head like flimsy octopus tenticals. I ran a hand through my messy chestnut hair. I glanced around at the small restaurant. Wooden tables were scattered around the room, each accompanied by four or more wooden chairs. On one side of the room, there was a bar with countless bottles of liquor. Across from me, there was the kitchen. A few chairs were lined up against the counter where three men sat talking and laughing away as they watched the television on the wall just above the counter. Some sort of sports channel was playing.

The place looked like a modern restaurant. For some reason, I expected it to be a bit more old school, but in all honesty, I don't particularly mind. Excitement was still flowing through my veins. I know most people hate to work, but when you've been pretty much locked up for two years, then you really start to appreciate every chance you get to work for yourself. No one else.

I scanned the room once again, taking in the numerous costumers waiting for their food.

"Hey! You!"

I snapped my gaze up and saw the man who had been behind the window. He was behind the counter, waving me over. I took one last glance around the room before I made my way over to the man. When I was close enough, I looked at his name tag.

Cal.

So this guy was the owner.

I focused all of my attention on him.