Chapter 11: Three Strikes

It's been four days since I got my job at the diner. Terri and the spawns of evil got back the day after training. They have been extremely demanding, but never the less I have been able to escape their clutches. Strangely enough, I've been able to get out of my chores for the last four days, but I think they've been busy getting ready for the ball.

Maybe I wasn't invited, but I couldn't care less. I had my job, even if almost every person working there is a heartless, crabby, jerk. The only friend I have is Dan. Even then he doesn't really like me. He said that I 'am only a little more bearable than those morons.'

I would take what I can get.

Especially since he switched to the night shift because he couldn't stand the other workers. At least, that's what he told me. I still think it's because he secretly thinks of me as a friend. It's hard to tell since he was literally always a grump.

I still can't believe the royal ball is two weeks away. Everyone in this town is ecstatic over it, even though all of them know almost no one from this city will go besides the raffle winners.

In other unfortunate news, I have already lost one strike. This was for talking back to a man who said some extremely rude things about me. I'm not exactly the kind of girl to sit back and take crap from random people. Or anyone at all. Lately, though, I've been doing my best to avoid loosing anymore strikes. I'd rather not be fired not even a week into my job.

"Hey, new girl, table six needs more chips and salsa. Hurry up." Dan called from the kitchen. I rolled my eyes.

"Dan. You've known me for four days. Not to mention the fact that we are both wearing name tags. You should know my name by now." I yelled back.

My answer was an annoyed snort.

I had a half smile on my face when I arrived at table six with a tray of chips and salsa. A man in his late fifties sat quietly reading a book. I took note that his iced tea was nearly gone and he had never gotten any napkins.

He looked away from his book, his brown eyes meeting mine as I set the tray down. "Thank you." He whispered in an almost shy voice. I gave him a small smile.

"No problem. I will be back with a refill of your drink and some napkins." I stated. He nodded and turned back to his book.

I sighed and made my way back to the kitchen. I went around to the soda fountain, where the iced tea happened to be. I found it strange that soda and iced tea would be a part of the same machine. I stopped in my tracks when I saw a person a few feet from the machine. He was walking away, but I was questioning his motive for being in the kitchen. I decided to ask.

"Excuse me, sir? You do know this is the kitchen, as in only staff is allowed here?" I asked. I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just curious.

The man stopped, his face falling. "I am so sorry, miss. I was actually trying to find the restroom, but I seemed to have wandered in the wrong direction."

I nodded in understanding. "It's just down that hallway," I said, pointing to where the bathroom sign was. He smiled gratefully at me and left.

I grabbed a glass that was near the fountain and carefully read all of the labels. It would be awkward if I accidentally got the wrong one. "Aha," I muttered, pressing down on the correct tab.

I waited a few seconds for the drink to pour out, but nothing happened.

But once it did, I wished it would have never came out.

The tea suddenly sprayed out, like it had been under a lot of pressure. It gushed everywhere, all over my arms and uniform. It didn't stop even after I had taken my had off of the tab. I sputtered when it got into my mouth.