Chapter 12: The Cinderella Contract

Well, today kept getting better and better.

When I had looked up, I knew straight away that it was Wes. But something was different. He wasn't smirking like I had thought he would be. No, he had a straight, blank expression, his blue eyes shining. I blinked, trying to comprehend his words.

"What do you want?" I muttered bitterly.

He stared at me for a second. "I told you you'd regret not taking my offer."

I glared at him. "What did you do?"

Wes shrugged innocently. "I did absolutely nothing-but warn you, of course."

"If you just came here to say 'I told you so' then you should just leave. I get it. You win. I regret my disicion. Now, go away." I murmured. Wes shook his head.

"I came for a different reason." He stated. "But in hindsight, I did tell you so."

My eyes narrowed to slits. "Shut up and beat it. I am not in the mood for this crap right now." I snapped defensively. A faint smile pulled at the tips of his lips.

"Fine. Too far." He agreed. "Look, my offer still stands. You could still get away from the life you have now. You'll have another chance to work."

How does he know about my life?

Oh, right. He had my phone.

I lifted my chin. "I don't need your stupid pawn shop. I can find a different job."

Wes looked at me skeptically. "Really? I don't think you could."

"What are you talking about?"

He smirked at me. "Well...You know, I'm sure your aunt wouldn't be very happy if she knew what you were up to, now would she?"

My eyes widened. "You wouldn't!"

"Oh, you know I would." He said, his expression turning serious. "Storm, I don't want to manipulate you. Please, at least let my boss explain what we are all about."

I sighed. Did I really have another choice? I mean, maybe working at a pawn shop could be fun. I bit my lip deep in concentration. Maybe...

I glanced back at Wes and shut my eyes before slowly opening them.

"I'll go."

***

I was happy to know that we didn't have to get into a car. That definitely would not sit well with me.

No pun intended.

Instead, we walked. For quite a while, I might add.

It had been pretty cool outside when I left the house, so I brought a jacket to Cal's. It had dropped a few degrees, so I was glad that I had brought it. I shoved my ice-cold hands into the pockets. Wes walked beside me in just a short sleeved black shirt that hugged his chest and black jeans to match. I kept myself three feet away from him.

I might have agreed to go with him, but I so did not trust him.

At all.

He confused me. I can't figure out why he wanted me-and only me-for this job. I knew nothing about him, besides the fact that he's a grade A as-

You know what, let's just say he's a jerk.

Kind of like that stupid prince Ace. But not quite as bad. Nor does he seem to be as scary. Well, actually that's a lie. He's just as scary. Maybe more so, especially when he gets too serious. It's a bit intimidating.