Chapter 1: The step-family

My fingers skimmed across the spines of the books on the shelf. No. No. Nope. No...

"Aha!" I cried triamphantly as my eyes finally found the one I had been looking for.

I hastily pulled it off the shelf. I stared at the cover and admired the title.

I have read the same book at least a hundred times and yet I still cry at the sad parts. It amazes me how one author can write something with so much thought and meaning. I always reread a good story so I can analyse it properly and understand it more.

I opened the little blue book and began to read, fully aware that I only had a few minutes before--

"Ella! Where are you?" A voice called.

Aaand there goes my good mood.

"Ella! Oh, where is that dirty little-" The voice got closer, and I could feel my grip on the book tighten as it did.

"Ah, there you are dear!" Terri, my witch of a step-mother said in a fake enthusiastic tone. She looked at me with a smirk. My stomach dropped knowing that she definately had more work for me to do.

Oh, did I say she was a witch? I meant-

"Why are you sitting on the desk? Get off you no-mannered swine!" She marched up to where I was lounging and yanked my arm, causing me to stumble off the library's check out desk. I held my hand out to stop myself from falling, only to catch air. I ended up looking like a flapping peguin as I attempted to not face-plant onto the floor.

At least it was carpet.

Thankfully, I didn't fall, instead I almost knocked over a book display on the advertisement counter.

Terri glared at me. "Ella! You are such a klutz! Sometimes I'm sure you do it on purpose!"

My jaw clenched with anger. "I told you more than once, ma'am. My name is Storm. Not Ella." Ella was actually my middle name, but I hated when people called me by it.

Terri scoffed. "As if I would call you that god awful excuse for a name. How your crazy mother came up with that is beyond me."

I really wanted to slap the five pounds of makeup off this woman.

Or drop-kick her off a cliff.

They don't have books in jail. They don't have books in jail. I reminded myself.

"Anywho," She continued, "I came here to tell you that you need to start making Tessa's dress for the costume ball."

I bit my lip, not trusting myself to speak. I just nodded stiffly.

"Oh, and you need to re-sew Alana's shirt. That other stitch work you did was absolutely dreadful. I expect it to be done before tomorrow. Or else." She threatened. I squeezed my eyes shut and exhaled deeply. Putting on the fakest smile I could muster, I sucked up my pride.

"Yes ma'am."

Terri looked satisfied as she gave me a supirior nod before strutting past me and out of the library.

I sighed and sat back on the desk again. I reopened my book, only to be interrupted.

The door burst open and another blonde she-devil waltzed in. "You!" She shouted while pointing an accusing finger at me. I cocked my head to the side. What was it this time?

"You didn't wash my clothes! Now I have nothing to wear to Ethan's party tonight!"

Boy was that a lie. Her closet was the size of Nebraska.

The whiny brat who just entered the building happens to be my step-sister, Alana. She, along with Tessa and Terri, make it their life goal to make my own life miserable.

It's not like I ever did anything to them. They entered my life two and a half years ago. But suddenly, after my father died two years ago in a car accident, they turned me into their slave. Before my dad passed away, none of this happened. It was like once he was gone, I was a no one to them.

I stared back at Alana, who's eyes bore into me with hatred and disgust. I had to use all of my self control not to roll my eyes and spew out some snarky comment. "I am really sorry Alana. It must have slipped my mind. I will do that right away."

"And what good will that do?" She sneered, "You idiot! The party is tonight! I need my clothes right now!"

"It's not like we can do anything about it now." I muttered under my breath.

"What?"

I shook my head. "Nothing."

She stalked towards me. "You better hope it was nothing. Watch what you say to me. I could have you kicked out and living under a bridge if you don't, you troll!" She hissed.

Do you guys understand why I hate these women so much now?

"Yes Alana." I hate having to submit to her.

"Good. Also, Mother did tell you to sew my shirt." She said, "So go get on that. Shoo shoo." She added, making little hand motions before turning on her heel to start walking out.

"Of course your highness." I said sarcastically, not without adding a curtsy behind her back.

When she was finally gone, I collapsed against a bookshelf. Grateful that Terri had at least let me have a cell phone, I texted my friend Marcy.

Me: Hey, change of plans. I can't make it to the party tonight.

A few minutes went by before my phone buzzed.

Marcy: What why?

Me: Two reasons. One: Alana will be there Two: I have too much stuff I need to get done.

Marcy: Uhg.

Marcy: U suck Storm.

Me: Wow thanks. -_-

Marcy: Shut up.

Marcy: I'll be there in 5

Marcy: Don't even try to stop me

Marcy: I will break down your front door if I have to

I smiled. Marcy has been my best friend ever since we moved to New York two years ago. I couldn't ask for a better friend considering the fact that she helps me with the crap my family puts me through. I have tried numerous times to get her to stop, but she insists on helping me.

Me: Love you Marce

Marcy: Who doesn't?

I rolled my eyes with a smile still on my face. Maybe today would actually not suck.

My phone was randomly ripped from my hand. I looked up to meet the angry brown eyed stare of my other step-sister Tessa.

I spoke too soon.

***

So that's chappy 1!

Hope you liked it

Oh! And I will be working on Rogue next so stay tuned for that!

Comment/vote/share

~Sasha