Chapter 2: Locked in a Library

This just goes to show that if you're like me, no matter how many times you wish upon a star, luck will never be on your side.

Tessa started going through my phone. "Who could you be talking to? Who would even want to be friends with you?" She glanced over at me. "Wait, who's Marcy? Oh my god she's going to come over!" Tessa smirked at me. "Oh I have got to show this to Mom."

My eyes widened. "No! Tessa! Wait--"

She gave me another evil sneer before darting out the door. I saw her take something out of her pocket before messing with the door handle. She held something, which I realized was a key, before turning to leave.

Crap.

I jumped up from where I was seated. I ran to the doors, but they wouldn't open.

Great. I'm locked in.

I'm sure you're wondering why I don't have my own key considering I practically run this place. Well, Terri gave Alana and Tessa keys while also keeping one for herself. She comes by to lock the place at night once the library closes.

An idea popped into my head. I ran to the windows and tried to open one of them. All of them were locked. I turned in a circle slowly, looking for another way out. After a moment, my eyes landed on a door.

The staff only room.

This was the only door that didn't need a key. Instead, there was a pad of numbers which opened the door with a certain code. I had caught Terri putting in the code once, and now I knew it by heart. As fast as I could, I punched in the code and swung the heavy door open. When I was inside, I saw one last window.

My last option.

Well, last option that didn't involve chucking a chair through glass.

I strolled over to it and jiggled the handle at the bottom. I found that for the first time in my life, I was actually lucky. The pane lifted up with slight difficulty. Without looking down, I threw one leg over the sill so I was straddling it before throwing the other so I was sitting on it. I pushed myself off.

For a second, I was kinda scared of landing on the ground like a pancake.

Fortunately, my landing was practically perfect.

Or it would have been if I hadn't ended up in a freaking bush.

The luck was nice while it lasted.

The small branches snapped as I landed, making my legs give out under me from the unexpected ground cover. I fell on my side, rolling off the leaves and again landing, but this time on my side, which knocked the air from my lungs.

I hate shrubbery.

I got up with a small huff, dusting off my jeans and shirt. Hastily glancing around, I ran as fast as I could to the house, which happened to be a block away from the plaza I was at. There were a lot of people out walking the streets, some sitting on the benches and others standing around doing nothing. I rolled my eyes as I attempted to push my way through the crowds. Don't you people have lives?

I was almost ran over by a kid on his bike. "Get otta the way!" He shouted at me. I again rolled my eyes.

I hate humans.

If you haven't been able to tell, I'm in a pretty crappy mood.

I guess chasing a crazy she-devil does that to a girl.

Finally, I made it to my street. There were over a dozen houses, most of them were one stories, but there were a select few that were two stories. I jogged my way up the street until I stopped at a light brown house at the end. It was a single story, but felt much bigger on the inside. Most people like big houses. But for me, it just means more cleaning.