Winter Solstice Part 2: Avatar Roku and Avatar Kyoshi

The village chief, who I earlier thought was a villager, lets us stay the night in the village and while I was getting some much needed-sleep, Aang had the audacity to wake me up. I rub my eyes groggily as I shot up to face the young airbender.

"What is it Aang?" I whisper furiously. "Can't you see that I was sleeping?"

"Sorry Suzume," Aang whispered. "Let's go to the island now, I don't want Katara and Sokka following us, it'll be too dangerous for them."

"Fine," I sighed silently. "Let's go." I let Aang lead me to Appa, not caring that I was trudging slowly along.

"Let's go, Appa! Come on, boy!" Aang yanks on Appa's reins but the flying bison refuses to budge. "Look, Katara and Sokka aren't coming with us. If they got hurt, I'd never forgive myself. So get your big butt off the ground and let's go!" Aang tries to pull Appa but of course, he fails, his attempt leaving him sitting on the ground and cutting a forlorn figure.

I sigh, offering Aang a hand which he gratefully accepts. "It's alright, Aang. Maybe Appa has a point, maybe we should wait for Katara and Sokka."

"I think his big furry butt does have a point." Both of us whirl around, shocked to see Sokka, Katara and the rest of the villagers standing behind us.

"Please don't go Aang and Suzume. The world can't afford to lose you both to the Fire Nation," Katara pleaded. "Neither can I."

"But we have to talk to Avatar Roku to find out what our vision means!" Aang argued. "We need to get to the Fire Temple before the sun sets on the solstice. That's today!"

Katara and Sokka run up to Appa, standing in front of him to impede our departure. "We're not letting you go into the Fire Nation, Aang, you too, Suzume."

"Guys please," I implored. "This is urgent, Aang and I really need to talk to Roku to find out about the vision and what our roles are as the Avatars."

"Well, we're coming with you both. We've got both of your backs. Ew!" Sokka jumps back in disgust after Appa licks him, with Momo jumping onto Aang's shoulder.

"It's a long journey to the Crescent Island," the village chief hands Aang a small bundle. "You'll have to fly fast to have any chance of making it before sundown. Good luck."

Aang hops atop Appa's head while the rest of us assume our respective positions on Appa's saddle. "Thank you for your-"

"Go!" The village chief orders, cutting Aang off sharply. Appa seemingly understands the village chief's command, taking off promptly.

I feel my vision beginning to darken and I inevitably fall asleep, only to be awoken by Aang's voice a while later.

"Come on boy, we've got a long way to go. Faster!"

My eyes flutter open and I find that dawn had given way to the lazy rays of the morning sun.

"Aang, we've got trouble!" Katara yelled.

"Yeah! And it's gaining, fast!" Sokka added. I follow Katara and Sokka's gaze, peering over Appa's rim and noticing Zuko's ship.

I sigh and yawn in exhaustion. "Not this early," I complained.

"Oh great, you're awake Suzume. Can you use that Avatar ability of yours, that glowing eye thingy you did against Bumi to take down Zuko's ship?"

"Sokka, I don't even know how to summon that thing," I scolded, rolling my eyes.

"Fireball!" Katara yells and sure enough, a fireball was spiralling and speeding towards Appa.

"I'm on it!" Aang makes Appa swerve aside, successfully eluding the fireball but not the repulsive trail of smoke it leaves behind.