The Chase

We land in a forested area at sunset, all of us unpacking our supplies except Toph who was standing on a pool of Appa's fur that the flying bison had shed. "Hey! You guys picked a great campsite. The grass is so soft."

"Sorry to burst your bubble Toph, but that's not grass," I corrected, still wiggling my toe in Appa's soft fur. 'It feels quite satisfying.'

"It's Appa's shedding," Sokka answered in irritation. 

Katara stares at the ground in displeasure, raising her foot warily. "Oh, gross!"

"That's not gross, it's just a part of spring! You know, rebirth, flowers blooming and Appa gets a new coat," Aang smiled cheerily. 

"Ah, the beauty of spring," Katara declared sarcastically.

Out of the blue, Appa decided to sneeze, releasing a thick blanket of fur onto us as a result.

"Stop! Appa, stop! Ugh!" Katara upbraided, brushing herself off hastily in an attempt to get rid of the fur.

"It's not that bad, Katara," Sokka was crouching down with his back to us and he emerges again, with a wig made from Appa's fur. "It makes a great wig!"

"Well, I mean, I guess it technically does," I admitted, recalling the time we visited Omashu for the first time. "It did fool the guards in Omashu pretty well the first time we went."

"See, even Suzume agrees!" Sokka smirked triumphantly at Katara.

"Though it did itch quite a bit," I pointed out, shaking my head. "Never wearing it again."

Aang leaps off Appa, wearing a beard made of Appa's fur, "It also makes a great beard!" Two of them share a laugh, pointing at each other's ridiculous outfits.

"Well, Suzume and I are just glad we finally have another girl in the group, because you two are disgusting," Katara shakes her head in disapproval at them, turning to me for support. "Right, Suzume?"

"Uhhh Toph isn't exactly the cleanest person, but I am happy that she joined us," I admitted with a smile.

As if on cue, Toph emerges from behind the two boys, "Excuse me, does anyone have a razor? Because I've got some hairy pits!" She raises her arms, revealing the armpit hair she made using Appa's fur. 

The three of them share a laugh and I couldn't help but chuckle myself, already growing to like Toph's attitude. Aang suddenly sneezes, sending him flying back onto Appa's leg and the fur on the three of them to fly away. Aang lands in the pool of fur, a new clump of fur sticking onto Aang's back. The three of them continue laughing jovially and I see Katara lighten her unamused gaze, giggling a little with them. 

"That's the spirit, Katara," I praised, continuing to chuckle with them. Seeing that the sky was slowly turning dark, I slam my fists together, causing a ball of air to expand outwards and sweep the fur off of everyone from our group.

"Alright guys, I think it's time we set up camp," I announced, pointing at the darkening sky. We then set about doing our usual tasks. I help Aang with setting up the tent, while Sokka collects firewood and Katara tends to the water in a pot. 

After finishing setting up the tent, I look over at Toph, seeing her slumped against a rock, chewing on a piece of wheat indolently. Admittedly, I did not give it much thought and just went about what I was doing. 'She's probably just tired.' 

Katara also notices this, walking over to talk to her. They seem to get into a little bit of an argument judging by their expressions but thankfully, Katara walks off, waving her hand dismissively before anything got out of hand. Toph earthbends her own rock tent, sitting inside it. 'Now I really want to learn earthbending.'