Mini Adventure: Combustion Man On A Train

Sokka, Aang and I were standing on the platform of a bustling train station, of all places located deep within the Fire Nation. Admittedly, I did not have any plans on coming here at all, intending to continue training my bending until Aang told me that I needed to take a rest, persuading me to tag along with Sokka and him for the day. 

"Unbelievable! Katara and Toph don't know what they're missing!" Sokka exclaimed in wonderment, examining the exterior of the Fire Nation train parked in front of us admiringly. "Good thing you came, Suzume, or else you would have missed out too."

"Eh, I'm not into this kind of stuff, to be honest," I confessed frankly. "But I'm glad you're enjoying yourself." 

"I think Toph had enough of trains in Ba Sing Se, and Katara said she wanted to relax," Aang informed. "Besides, Appa's been lonely staying behind all the time."

"Pfft," Sokka waves his hand dismissively. "Their loss."

'I should be practising my bending right now with Katara and Toph. And you should be too, Aang.'

Aang glances at me, silently advising me internally, 'Come on Suzume, forget about that for now and enjoy yourself and relax with us. You can always practice your bending when you get back with them. I promise I'll practice with you later too, deal?'

'Deal.' I nod in approval. He flashes me a smile, turning his attention back to the train.

A train conductor emerges from the train shouting, "All aboard!"

A multitude of people began boarding the train and we were about to do so ourselves until I heard sniffling behind me. I turn back, spotting a lone young girl clutching onto a Komodo Rhino doll tightly. 

I approach her, crouching down to her level and smiling at her gently. "Hey there, I'm Suzume. Is everything okay? You look like you could use some help."

"My name is Sho. I'm going to see my grandma," Sho stuttered nervously. "b-but mom is sick, so I have to go on the train by myself."

I gaze at her sympathetically. "Awww, poor thing." 

Aang and Sokka suddenly appear beside me, assumably overhearing our conversation and understanding what was happening. Sho grows more anxious at the sight of both of them. 

"I'm Aang," Aang introduces himself, grinning at her and subsequently points to Sokka. "And that's Sokka. Don't worry, Sho, we'll help you."

"How about we ride the train with you?" I offered. "Would you like that?"

Sokka rubs his hands in delight. "A ride! Yes! Then I can check out the inside too!" 

"I'd like that," Sho nodded, hugging her Komodo Rhino doll.

"Great," I smiled, extending my hand to her. She grabs my hand tightly and together, the four of us board the train. 

"Ooooh!" Sokka looks around in excitement, going from place to place in the train energetically and inspecting almost everything. "I wonder what that's for...And that! And that!

Sho stares at him weirdly and I chuckle slightly, "He's very passionate about trains, don't worry about him."

We sit together in a section on the train, Sho and I sitting on one side while Aang and Sokka sit on the other. Aang looks at Sho warmly. "You know, my friend Gyatso once taught me a trick to help me feel better when I was scared or nervous. First, you close your eyes...then you take deep breaths and think about your favourite animal. Komodo rhino, right?"

 Sho nodded obediently, closing her eyes and taking deep breaths. 

Her features began to look more relaxed and composed, her grip on my hand loosening and relaxing immensely.