Sozin's Comet, Part 2: Revelation of The Lion Turtle

Aang and I decide to explore our unfamiliar surroundings for a bit, traversing through the forest within the island while discussing where we could possibly be. "Maybe we're in the Spirit World?" Aang suggested. 

I grab Aang's hand, feeling it and shaking my head. "Nope, I can touch and feel you, Aang. We're definitely still in the physical world."

Aang summons a gust of wind and directs it at a tree, nodding in agreement. "Yup, my bending works, we're definitely in the physical world."

"Maybe if we climb to the top of the island, we can figure out where we are," I advised, pointing to a hill just ahead. We ascend it together, following its path. It leads us to a strange, flat-rock formation, shaped like a hexagon in the centre of all the trees around it.

"It's a hexagon." Aang releases my hand, bending down and feeling the ground. "It doesn't seem like a normal rock."

"Well, there's only one way to find out if it's normal." I try earthbending it, but the ground beneath me doesn't budge one bit. "It's not made of earth."

"This is so strange," Aang sighed. "I wish we had some help right now. I wish we had Roku."

"Wait a minute," I paused, both Aang and I exchanging glances of excitement. "We do have Roku!"

We sit together, getting into our meditative stances and ignoring everything else around us, only focusing on our breaths and syncing them together as one. The darkness around us started to transform into the world before us and I felt my spirit leave my body with Aang's, both of us coming face-to-face with the spirit of Avatar Roku. 

"You're right, Aang and Suzume. All the past Avatars, all their experience and wisdom, are available to you both if you two look deep inside yourselves," Roku informed.

Aang surveys his surroundings, asking the question both of us desperately needed to know. "So where are we, Roku? What is this place?"

"I," Roku paused, inspecting our surroundings himself. "don't know. But I see that both of you are lost in more ways than one right now."

"Well, Roku, we're contemplating whether or not to kill Fire Lord Ozai," I explained. I remembered what happened with you and Fire Lord Sozin and we don't want to repeat your mistake, no offence. But at the same time, to kill someone seems so," I hesitated. "wrong."

"In my life, I tried to be disciplined and show restraint, but it backfired when Fire Lord Sozin took advantage of my restraint and mercy. If I had been more decisive and acted sooner, I could have stopped Sozin and stopped the war before it started. I offer you this wisdom, Aang and Suzume, Both of you must be decisive."

Roku's spirit vanishes before us and both Aang and I exchange looks of dread, knowing most likely what had to be done.

"Well, we could always another Avatar for advice," I suggested. "And I know just who to ask." I close my eyes once more, meditating deeply with Aang. "Avatar Kyoshi, we need your wisdom."

The spirit of Avatar Kyoshi appeared before us and she begins explaining the challenge she was faced with during her era as Avatar. "In my day, Chin the Conqueror threatened to throw the world out of balance. I stopped him. And the world entered a great era of peace."

"You didn't really kill Chin. Technically, he fell to his own doom because he was too stubborn to get out of the way," Aang pointed out.

I smile sheepishly. "Well, she still technically caused what led to his death." 

"Personally, I don't really see the difference, but I assure both of you, I would have done whatever it took to stop Chin. I offer you both this wisdom, Aang and Suzume, Only justice will bring peace."