The Hitchhiker

Tom Turner was a truck driver, hauling cargo across the deserted highways of America. He had been on the road for days, and was looking forward to getting home to his family.

As he drove down a particularly lonely stretch of road, he saw a figure standing by the side of the road. It was a woman, dressed in a long, flowing white gown. She looked lost and alone, and Tom felt a pang of pity for her.

"Hey there," he called out, rolling down the window of his truck. "You need a lift?"

The woman looked up at him, and Tom saw that her face was as pale as the moon. She had long, dark hair that cascaded down her shoulders, and her eyes were deep and mysterious.

"Yes," she said, her voice soft and melodic. "I would be grateful for a ride."

Tom opened the door of his truck, and the woman climbed in. As she settled into the seat beside him, Tom couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. There was something about her that made him feel uneasy, and he couldn't quite put his finger on what it was.

"Where are you headed?" he asked, trying to make conversation.

The woman looked at him, and her eyes seemed to bore into his soul. "I am going home," she said.

Tom nodded and focused on the road, the silence in the cab was a bit eerie as he drove, he turned on the radio to fill the silence. They drove for miles without speaking, the only sound in the cab was the hum of the engine and the distant static of the radio.

As they approached a deserted rest area, Tom suggested they take a break. The woman agreed, and they pulled over. Tom got out of the truck and stretched his legs, while the woman remained seated, looking out the window.

Tom walked over to the restroom and as he returned to his truck, he noticed the woman was gone. He searched the area but she was nowhere to be found. He asked the attendant if he had seen her but the attendant had not seen anyone matching her description. Tom decided to continue his journey, but he couldn't shake the feeling that something was not right.

Days passed and Tom couldn't stop thinking about the mysterious woman, he couldn't shake off the feeling of unease. He started to have nightmares about the woman, in his dreams she would appear in the back seat of his truck, her face twisted in a terrifying grin, her eyes black as the night.

Tom decided to investigate, He returned to the rest area where he had last seen the woman. He asked around, but no one had seen her. He searched the area, but there was no sign of her. He was about to give up when he noticed an old, abandoned farmhouse in the distance.

Tom decided to investigate and as he approached the farmhouse, he could feel the hair on the back of his neck standing on end. The windows of the farmhouse were boarded up, and the door was hanging off its hinges.

As he entered the farmhouse, Tom was greeted by a musty smell and cobwebs. He could hear the sound of something moving in the shadows, and he froze in fear.

"Who's there?" he called out, his voice trembling.

A figure appeared in the doorway, it was the woman in white.

"You," she said, her voice cold and menacing. "You should not have come here."

Tom tried to run, but he was frozen in fear. The woman stepped closer to him, her face twisted in a twisted smile. Her hand reached towards him, grasping onto his throat with icy fingers. With a sickening pop, the light went from his eyes.

In the darkness, the creature laughed and whispered: "Welcome home."