Still

-Lando you still have another chance next week.

Lando's birthday had been this weekend and we would all have loved it as a gift that he won the title. But fate has not wanted it that way.

-Luna he took me off the race! I could have won the championship today!- Let's say that today Charles has not had the best of his races.

-And they have already penalized him for it, you're still leading.- I remind him.

-Yeah by like three points- He said annoyed rolling his eyes.

While Charles was penalized, Carlos who was just behind him on the Championship was not and he managed to score a P2, bringing him even closer to Lando.

Lando has been telling me for months that he does not want to repeat an Abu Dhabi 2021. But everything indicates that the end of the season is going to be just as close.

-Hey dont use that tone on me I'm trying to help.

-The season is getting too long- he said passing a hand through his face frustrated.

-Tell me about it.

It is as if these eight months had been stretched out in space. I miss our home and our families.

-I just don't want what happened to Lewis and Max to happen to us, they didn't speak until almost a year later- he said vulnerable. I sit down next to him on the bed and he rests his head on my shoulder.

-It won't happen to you, everything will be fine.- I take his hand in mine intertwining our fingers.

-I enjoyed more when I lost- he said sighing.

I look at him strangely. Why would he say something like that?

-You can't be serious about that- I remember the years when he kept repeating how much he wanted a victory in F1.

-It's true! Before, when I raced, I obviously thought about winning, but what I thought about the most was how much fun I was having in the car.

-Now when I get in the car the only thing I think about is that if I don't win I will disappoint a lot of people.

-Then stop worrying- He huffed next to me and lifted his head from my shoulder, denying.

-It's not that simple babe.

-But what if it was?- I cupped his face and carresed his cheek- Next week, when you get into that car, don't think about the title or the team. Not even in the fans in me or in Lucas.

I want him to understand that no one is going to blame him if he loses. I am sure that he is going to fight tooth and nail next week to get that title.

But I also know that life is whimsical, and that it is not always enough being the one who works the hardest, you also have to be lucky.

I have seen how hard he has worked and I know how much he deserves that victory. But I also don't want him to believe that the only thing people love him for is because he's going to win.

-Try to remember why you are doing this. Remember that child who got into a kart for the first time, when his head with the helmet was almost bigger that the rest of his body. Or when you used to bring Alonso's coffee and the thing you wanted most in this world was to get on that car, I don't care.

-I will still be here, Lucas will still be here, your family, your friends, we will all still be here whether you win or lose.

He dropped his head to my chest and I gently stroked his hair.

-I didn't fall in love with the champion Lando, I fell in love with the Lando who never gave up no matter how difficult it seemed- I wispered to him.