12. Welcome Back

As promised, they ended up at the safe house later that same night.

The toddler was fast asleep, her light snores passing through as the concerned mother looked over at her.

She was on top of her father's broad shoulders, her little hands on the very top of his head, crossed over. She rested the left side of her face on her hand, her cute chubby cheeks pressing together. Her eyes were shut and her long hair was pulled into the braids she loved having in.

"She's going to fall." The older woman stressed for the umpteenth time, taking her careful gaze off the young girl and looking up at him. "Emir, would you just pass her over to me already? That doesn't look safe at all."

"I told you she's not going to fucking fall. Quit saying that shit."

Hearing his words and not believing any of them, her head turned to catch Demir walking up the pathway. He was dragging the rest of the suitcases, the loud boys running next to him trying to poke him with their plastic pirate hooks. Leila was trailing metres behind, trying to tell them to stop.

Poor guy.

"Leila! Will you be able to take Ayla off Mr. Reis' shoulders?" She called for the nanny politely, her eyes doing the talking for her. "He seriously thinks he can keep ahold of her with one hand whilst carrying our suitcases."

"Of course, I'm on my way!"

Immediately, the nanny came rushing over, which only made the twins copy her.

It was okay until it wasn't. Ayaz and Zeki pushed and shoved one another, reaching their father in time to crash into the back of his steady legs.

"Stop it, you two!" Mishti yelled, her voice echoing. "Don't do that, you're going to make your sister fall."

Ayaz grumbled, rubbing his head from where he hit it hard and looked over at his furious mother. "Sorry, Mama..."

Zeki rubbed his, following suit. "Sorry."

"Just please be more careful." She responded, face softening at their guilty expressions. "Trust me, I'm as tired as you guys are. But can we try to be good little boys and behave, at least for tonight. Please?"

Nods in sync were sent her way.

Emir went to lower his stance when Leila reached up to peel the sleeping toddler off. However, as if sensing them partying ways, Ayla suddenly opened her eyes and began to wail hard.

"Baba!" She started to cry, not wanting to leave him.

He didn't let her go, straightening back up and securing her in her position. He tilted his head, catching her watery gaze. "Ağlama, meleğim. I'm right here, there's no reason to cry."

"Ayla stay." She told him firmly.

Before he could answer her, she grabbed the sides of his face with her small hands and shook it in a head nod for him.

"Yes, baba, that's right." He chuckled at that, a rarity sounding from him. "Ayla stay."

Then she was placing a wet kiss on the top of his head, and her face went back to being pressed against it.

Mishti sighed, giving the nanny a look that said 'don't bother'. They were now in front of the empty, somewhat ordinary-looking house. It had a cobbled path, and the house itself was big yet not anything garish.

It looked normal if she was being honest.

She was happy it wasn't like the last safe house, that one had been a large mansion where she felt like the kids couldn't gather a sense of home and familiarity.