14. Notice

The Russian mobster gave nothing away, although she could tell he was curious to see her in the same vicinity as him.

With a purposeful grin shot his way, she waited a few minutes and then felt an intense presence sliding onto the stool next to hers.

"I see you got my message." The man said, loud and clearly.

The bar that they were in was crowded with people, though she knew they were all his people since they kept a trained eye on her at all times.

"Of course I did." Turning her head a little, she caught his face and wondered how a man of his nature and power had gotten to where he was. "When Mr. Tsezar asks to see you, it's pretty impossible to decline."

He controlled the entirety of Russia, of course, she got his message.

His eyes were already on hers, scanning them over her made-up face, that fake mole and her short hair. He seemed to like the look of her as his eyes darkened immensely.

He hummed in approval. "It is funny, there seems to be no record of a Nina Petrov and yet, here you are."

"Mhm. In the flesh." She continued, her voice not wavering once.

"So I see." He replied, instantly. "And you say you lived here your whole life?"

It sounded like a usual conversation to most, but to the trained ear, it was obviously a way to get her to crack.

"No actually, I didn't."

"Petrov is a Russian surname."

"I'm originally from India, but I was adopted by Russian parents. Though I'm sure you already knew that, Mr. Tsezar. After all, you have done an extensive, perhaps a little too thorough search into my life already, no? There's no need for the formalities."

He chuckled darkly. "Touché."

Mishti knew it was her cue to get out of there, she didn't need this to drag on any longer. The meeting was supposed to be quick, an unintentional 'run in' and staying would mean the enemy would gather too much info.

That was her job to do.

Reaching for her handbag, she slid her drink across the bar top and stood up to her full height.

However before she could get the hell out of there, she felt him grab ahold of her arm.

Her eyes met his, she could see the danger dancing in them.

"You'll meet me tomorrow night, and then you'll explain to me what exactly it is that you what from me."

It was hard not to smile at that, she didn't back down, holding his eye contact for the life of her.

"We'll see, Mr. Tsezar."

-

"-And that's why we need a baby tiger."

She held back the eye roll looking at her mischievous boys. "Mm. But I thought you two were already my baby tigers?"

"Mommy! We can't be tigers, we're humans!" Ayaz whined, getting annoyed that she wasn't taking him seriously.

It was obviously a very serious matter.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. So you want a baby tiger and then what? What happens when it grows big and scary and eats you two whole?"

"It won't eat us, we'll be its friend." Zeki pointed out, trying to be the level-headed one out of the two. "When are we getting our tiger, Mama?"

"Well, you haven't let me give you an answer yet."