Diana: Pictures From Our Italian Vacation, 1953, Italy

Diana

Pictures From Our Italian Vacation

1953, Italy

Milan

As I watched Violette pick at her vegetables in the restaurant at our hotel, suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder. Looking up, I discovered the host standing there.

"Phone call, signorina," he said plainly.

"Oh, alright," I responded, trying to hide my confusion. Who could be calling me? Who even knew I was here?

 As I was walking towards the front where the host stood, as it was quite an upscale sort of place, other diners looked at me curiously but secretively.

As I picked up the receiver, a voice immediately responded and a flare of rage filled my body immediately.

"Come get meeee," Beau whined in an overly dramatic sob.

"No," I said coldly, and removed the earpiece from my ear and went to hang up, but then...

"COME GET ME, I'M IN WHERE THE FUCK IS THIS, SWITZERLAND AND I'M LOST!" he screamed, his voice shrieking out from the earpiece, as surely his very attuned hearing had heard me remove the piece from my ear and was cause for alarm. 

Nearby, diners' heads popped up like meerkats out of holes.

Blushing and smiling politely at them, I turned around and my face made a dramatic change to murderous.

"Goddammit..." I hissed into the phone.

"Come get me, my beautiful daughter of the most cherubic cherry blossom," he added on, just to make me more angry.

Sensing my quickeningly angered breath, he began to breathe into the phone noisily, mocking me.

My blood ran cold in intensifying feelings of wanting to strangle him to death even knowing full well that we can't die.

But instead I whispered to him in the calmest voice I could muster so as to not lose control in the place we were staying.

"You took a ride with somebody, didn't you. That's how you ended up in Switzerland."

Without hesitation, he said the thing which he knew would could cause me to get the most angry.

"Oh yes, he was very cute."

With this, I took the earpiece away from my ear and towards to cradle, and I heard him screaming anew but I did not care at all.  "HEY, ARE YOU GOING TO COME GET ME?! HEY! HEEEY!" But I did not care.

The host looked at me quizzically. "Was the call up to standard?" he asked professionally.