Beau: Wandering Streets, 1869, Japan

Beau

Wandering Streets

1869, Japan

I heard he went back to Japan. Sometimes I am too bold for my own good. Perhaps it was dangerous to bring her along, too. What choice did I have? He went away, and I needed to tell him something, but I could not tell him myself.

"I am not a babysitter," Cheol whispered resentfully to me. 

"Good, I am not a baby," I nodded to her, looking around the corner. Rows of wooden houses with tiled roofs spanned as far as the eye could see. It seemed from within each excited and laughing voices rang out into the early night, punctuated by singing and twanging instruments.

"I can not believe you left the little flower alone. She does not like to be alone," she continued, speaking low despite the noise, daring me to listen closer. 

"If you are concerned for her that much then you should go to her after this," I said, knowing this would stop her talking.

I was correct, and she stopped. 

But then she continued, too consumed by her own love. It was this which told me I had made the right decision. "There is a candy vendor. I bet she would want the candy. Should I bring it to her? Oh, but she does not want to see me. Will you bring her the candy I buy?" she asked distantly. It was most unlike her, and this was part of my plan. Two plans in one.

"Yes, I will bring her anything you desire," I assured, still looking around as if someone would jump out at me. 

"Okay, then I will buy her a doll. Candy, too. What about something for her feet? What if I buy her these things and it makes her too homesick? What should I do, Victor? Are you listening?" 

I wanted to laugh because her love was causing her feminine side to come out, something she hid all the time. But it was not the time for laughing.

"Which teahouse are you looking for anyway?" she asked. 

I didn't respond, and I don't think she expected an answer. After a moment, she sighed and walked away to a vendor selling the special candy. I made sure not to wander too far away. I observed her interacting with the vendor, the vendor treating her as male, seeing the Western suit and the reserved manner. She came back holding a small bag full of the sugary stuff. She was quiet after that, perhaps thinking of her little flower.

This gave me all the time I needed to think of why I was here, in the native land of my own former lover. Just as Cheol was, I was following the one I loved, still lovesick but having to keep away.

I heard he had become a professor of some sort. Some high ranking position. He was an ambassador, talking to newly arrived Western professors. Through the grapevine, I had heard he was in Kyoto, meeting these professors with the help of a little Japanese style entertainment. Just like the olden days, when he had met me during business. The sudden recollection of this made me shudder in emotions I could not pinpoint.