Beau: Fear, Year Unknown, The Roman Empire

Beau

Fear

Year Unknown, The Roman Empire

She was undressing me with her eyes. I smiled gently to her and cupped her pretty little face. Still pretty after all these years, even if there were crease lines from too much worry. 

"You shouldn't be looking at me like that," I said sweetly.

"You shouldn't be touching me like this," she responded with that sharp tongue, but a small smile curled on the edges of her imp-ish lips. 

Laughing, a comforting feeling washing over me slowly, I scooped her up like old times and she wrapped her willowy arms around my neck, pressing her head to my collarbone. I laid her on my bed and she sighed dreamily. 

Watching her as she laid there, staring up at me with that familiar fire in her eyes, a slight uneasy feeling began to mix with my feeling of cherished comfort. 

"Don't tease," she mock snapped, raising her arms for me.

Trying to make her think I was indeed teasing her, I carefully climbed onto the bed, my body framing her's as I hovered over her, staring at her face. The oceanic blue eyes. The pale, yet slightly tanned skin. The coal black straight hair framing her face. 

As she tried to undress me, my heart began to flutter with unease again. The pinched feeling of guilt. The quavering in my gut of the wrong. The sweat of betrayal.

As her small fingers found my waist, my body went cold. 

Before I knew what was happening, my hand had found her wrist and perhaps squeezing it a little too hard. I eased my grip and my breath became too fast. She looked at me with a look of mischievousness, as if I were merely playing, trying to make her wait.

"No, I..." I faltered. I closed my eyes. Even then I could feel her icy blue eyes boaring into me like two icicles.

She didn't speak, but waited, like I am sure he taught her to. 

Him, her husband. Her human husband. My mind immediately went to the faces of her five children, the sweet faces. Her with them, giving them hugs, tender kisses. Them over the years, how they had grown, how she had grown. Without me.

With a heavy breath, I got up off her and stood at the foot of the bed. She stared at me from her place, not moving a determined muscle.

"Iulia, I..." I began. My body moved on its own once again, stepping backward, as if in horror.

This caused Iulia to sit up a little bit, perched on her elbows. "What is it?" she asked strongly, her voice soft but commanding. Just as always, her strong spirit, and that is what I loved about her. But this time...this thing...

Her face was becoming displeased now, a small crease inbetween her eyebrows.