breathe

Kireyi

(play "nocturne for strings and conversation" by mura masa. go ahead and let it replay, I will tell you when to stop!)

Kireyi was typically a playful girl, she couldn't pinpoint why the boy made her so "tense," but even filled with nerves, Kireyi wouldn't let it ruin her teaching. It had been a few minutes, the air cooled as the sun began to sleep, Neteyam had struggled to understand how to breathe fully, so she resorted to her own examples, "First, imagine a small flame; your heartbeat is just like that. Slow it down, and take deep long breaths. Don't rush the process."

Neteyam was very open to learning; unlike Lo'ak, he took his time listening to everything said and tried to apply it to himself when practicing. Despite wanting to just be home, he understood he needed to keep an open mind.

"Like this?" He took in a few more deep breaths before Kireyi intervened; she placed her hand on his abdomen as he breathed in. "More air- fill your stomach first, then your chest," She applied some pressure to his stomach until it stopped caving with the pressure, "Yes, like that. See how my hand cant press your stomach in?"

Neteyam exhaled and nodded, "That is your full air capacity for now, the more you swim and train underwater, the more air you'll slowly be able to take in. You did well."

"Really?"

The girl then took his hand and ignored his comment. She started to feel his wrist for a pulse, "Relax," she shook his wrist to get his arm to ease. "You are tense, that is not good for slowing your heart rate underwater."

"I apologize," his bright yellow eyes looked at Kiyeri; she didnt dare look back as she kept her focus on his wrist. His skin was soft and warm, keeping her hand on his arm she discreetly observed his blue markings. They were pronounced and flowed like stripes unlike the spot-like marks she had. She squeezed her eyes closed to focus on teaching him to breathe, not cower at his stare, or stare at his skin.

"Keep taking slow breaths, calm your body- your mind. You are free underwater, there is no beginning and no end. It is you and the water; if you can calm yourself, you can feel the water around you. How it moves with you, how its waves are its breath, learning this is the most important before anything else." Kireyi slowly talked him through it, like meditation, and eventually, his heart slowed. She took a few more breaths with him and he completely calmed, finally she let his arm go, "Good, you are okay to stop for today."

"Uhm- I wanted to thank you, for...." Her eyes met his and she looked at him in curiosity, "For welcoming us so nicely, and helping with Tuk."

Kireyi softly smiled, although it held concern, "I'm sure it's not easy being here," Her eyes looked down, she had suddenly felt shameful for saying that, "It is the least we can do."

His response made her thankful it was not offensive, "Sincerely, thank you."

She had moved to get up, but he took her arm stopping her, "Could you show me more of the water? Since I've perfected the breathing technique?" Hearing his voice she could pick up the hint of urge, she guessed he needed an escape, this being one of his only options. 

"I had never stated you perfected it...." Her voice came out a whisper.

"Are you sure? I recall you saying those exact words," He looked tired to the girl, but as he tried to joke she knew her guess was correct. She noticed early on the keen hold he kept on his siblings, it hadn't been physical, but he was always watching over them all. The boy was silently telling her he wanted someone he could joke with, someone to introduce him to things other than his "role." Even if he didn't realize it was what he was doing, she didn't mind, a feeling of relation filled her. They were alike. And for him to be forced to move somewhere so foreign, her mind couldn't wrap around how harsh of a reality it must've been for him and his siblings.