Ikran

Kireyi

It'd been about a month and a half now since they'd arrive at the Omatikaya clan. Kireyi could see differences in herself, her ribs had become slightly smaller, her smell and hearing ten times better in the forest than when she was at sea, and her tail was used subconsciously to help her balance through the forest.

Lately all Neteyam's had her focus on is agility and hunting, constantly speaking of the flow of energy, everything having a place and time. She'd understood the concept, learning it all throughout her life with the Metkayina, but here in the forest she really was relearning the whole process. The girl hadn't been allowed to make a kill yet, strictly following and stalking the animals- becoming one with her surroundings. And she knew there'd been a difference, now her body picked up on anything and everything. Any slight movement or sound, the smallest difference in smell.

Her eyes trailed the area, her attention fully stuck on the small animal in front of her. As Neteyam came closer her ear twitched, the soft pattering of rain only urging her to focus even more. Kireyi had been close to the ground, her eyes peeking through the leaves that hid her away. She was stealthy as she prepared the bow, pulling back and lining it up with the creature ahead. Her breath slowed, vision darkening- only targeting the animal. And finally, Neteyam hadn't interfered, allowing her leeway to make her first kill. Her fingers lightly rubbed against the wood of the bow, preparing herself mentally for the moment. She still hadn't made her own bow either yet, always using Neteyam's, yet in the moment it hadn't mattered. Kireyi could feel everything around her, and just before the animal moved.

She shot.

The arrow was quick, the death as painless as possible. Kireyi rushed forward to check if it had been a clean kill, and the moment she realized it was she began to pray over the animals soul. Thanking Eywa for the food too. Her eyes met Neteyam's and he only nodded in acknowledgement, she knew he was silently telling her she did it. He approached to help gather the animal to bring it back to their hut, and as he inspected the arrows point of penetration he nodded once more, "Perfect for your first time Kireyi."

Her ears perked at the sound, "Really?"

"Hm, we may move on now once your siblings are ready," His eyes glanced to her own for a split second, then back to preparing the animal.

"And what is next?"

"It will be time to get an Ikran," Her eyes widened for a second, not believing the boy.

"I am ready for that? Really Neteyam?" Kireyi could see the amusement on his face from her reaction, but she hadn't cared.

"Yes, you must trust yourself though, my trust in you won't matter as the choosing begins. Do you remember what will happen?" His eyes bore into her, and she softly nodded.

"It will choose to kill me...." Understanding washed over, it really would be up to her and her only.

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -
Neteyam

The boy sat against the tree, eyes stuck on Kireyi as she carved her bow. Trees surrounded them in a oval shape, Kireyi centered in the grass. He leaned his head back against the wood behind him, staring up into the light that flickered through the moving leaves, mind wandering to her final test coming up soon. It scared him, that he could possibly lose her so quick, but Neteyam knew he couldn't show that. He needed to stay calm for the girl, show he had unfaltering trust. Though it wasn't her he didn't trust, it was the Ikran- the height at which she'd be chosen.

Perhaps- no it was the reason Neteyam took extra time training her so carefully. All to make sure she would know everything she needed to succeed when the time came. He couldn't have cared less if it meant waiting until last minute to let her test with the Ikran- but Kireyi had done so well. Leading her on for so long would've crushed her confidence, not let it flow and become a backbone for the girl. She'd been training so hard in both the forest and as Tsahik, Neteyam knew she'd do well, but the upcoming test still scared him.

"Is this good?" Kireyi was in front of him now, and his head lowered from the looking up to glance at her. She held the bow out as she kneeled next to him, expectation written across her face.

Neteyam held his hand out, gently taking the bow into his hand, his fingers grazing the wood, his hands feeling the weight, "Hm, very good Reyi. Use this to sand it down and make it smooth," He rummaged through his pack, giving her a rough strip of bark.

She took it from his hands, proceeding to sit where she was before, not hesitating to polish up her bow. He kept his eyes on her again, simply taking the girl in. She'd looked so pretty, her presence calming. And he sat, watching as she made her weapon, waiting as her final test came soon.

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶༒˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

The boy and his family led the Metkayina up, memories of his own test taking over his mind. He remembered just how excited he was, how much he strived- yearned to prove himself to the other warriors, most importantly his father. The weather was just like today, warm with the slightest breeze- crisp air filling his lungs the higher they ventured up. He also remembered realization hitting him, understanding why his mother and father trained him so high up, it all making sense as he made way to the Ikran. Neteyam wondered if the Metkayina had hit that realization yet either, either way he continued forward, keeping a close eye on Kireyi.

The mountains and vines hadn't looked to of changed, but the boy could tell they had, some new, others gone. He slowed himself, urging Kireyi forward, "Kireyi. I need you to trust yourself."

Her brows furrowed, not understanding, that was until she looked forward, eyes meeting the moving mountain and vines which slowly paced past. A slight gasp left her lips, "I have to jump?"

"Yes, we must keep up. Remember I have taught you this, trust yourself Ma Reyi." He placed a hand atop of her head, before running and jumping onto one of the nearby vines.

He could see the look of hesitation, but the moment their eyes met she shook her head, almost shaking off he nerves before running to jump too. And she did, she jumped taking hold of a nearby vine, her siblings succeeding too, "I did it!"

Neteyam smiled, but Lo'ak was the one to instruct them, "Now climb!"

They continued up, Neteyam's mother helping each of them up and onto the floating rock. And they continued forward, until they had reached the same cave from when he had first gotten his Ikran. Kireyi took no more than a second to find her way to the boy, her tail flicking against his back, and he couldn't quite pinpoint if she was excited or scared for what was to come.

His mother stepped up, "Remember, the second the Ikran chooses you, get the hold around its mouth and form Tsaheylu as fast as possible. I will be on my Ikran if anything happens, trust yourselves, we have trained you for this."

Silence filled the area, all that could be heard was the water trickling from the waterfall, the noises from the Ikran just around the corner. The moment his mother was on her Ikran she turned to Neteyam, "Take Kireyi first, wait until you see me."

His eyes flickered between his mother and the girl next to him, yet he nodded, "Yes mother."