peace

(play "healing is a miracle" by julianna barwick. replay if needed)

Waves hushed the sounds around the two, filling the Marui Pod with its love. Both Na'vi laid close together, it hadn't matter how many times Ronal and Neytiri moved them because of their injuries. They would always come back to find one or the other hugging the latter's arm. It had been a day's time now, and neither fully woke up yet. With the sun rising into a new day, so did one of the Na'vi. Neteyam.

His eyes fluttered open, and it felt as if the moment they opened his body filled with pain again. He groaned at the feeling, body tensing, "Ma Teyam," He relaxed at the familiar voice. His mother's hand grazed over his forehead and he couldn't help but nuzzle his head into her touch, as she hushed him he calmed easily, "Let's try and sit you up so I can apply more ointment."

His mother removed her hand, now helping her son get up. His body ached, cuts screaming at him to stop moving. When he finally was up she started applying more ointment, "Where is everyone else?" He looked around, eyes lingering on Kireyi silently sleeping.

"They can not see you until you are capable of feeding yourself," His mother said, and his shoulders slouched at her remark.

"Not even one on one?" His eyes gave himself away and he knew it, but in the moment Neteyam hadn't cared much- only wanting to see his family.

His mother sighed, brushing her hand over his head again, "I guess we can make an exception.... if any of you bother Kireyi I will be here before your father to deal with you all."

He tensed at her warning, still nodding in acceptance. His muscles cooled at the ointments, the sensation was nice compared to earlier, but the boy still couldn't do much. He silently watched his mother move on to Kireyi, applying ointments to her big cuts. Neteyam felt horrible not realizing how badly she was injured earlier, and his mother noticed, reassuring him.

"She is healing well, do not worry," She softly smiled to her son's concern and he looked away clearing his throat.

"Alright...." He whispered. His mother walked out of the room to go prepare food for him, and hopefully Kireyi, who she felt would wake soon.

He listened to the girls short breath's, even though they were calm, the shortness scared him. Neteyam sat near her, softly resting his hand over her hair. He looked at the shell on her forehead that he had collected for her, it had broken in half, and she had a small cut from the sharp end. He carefully removed the shell so it wouldn't cut her again and looked at the rest of her hair. Although her mother had washed it, some of the shells were broken, and strands of thread were ripped, falling out. He gingerly started to remove it all, unbraiding and brushing out her hair; once he got the chance, he wanted to get her some more shells. He continued the fluid brush-like action and kept going even as she tensed, with small hushes she relaxed again from the pain. Seeing her calm made him release the breath he was subconsciously holding. The waves were soft against the Marui Pods wood compared to the other day. The stormed passed over quickly leaving a warm air around the Metkayina clan.

Only a few minutes later did Kireyi also wake, it was slow as she was only moving to hold whatever was next to her. Realizing there was nothing, she had reached for Neteyam, eyes opening to see him sitting up. As she looked at the boy reality set in, pushing out every emotion she never had the time to fully get out.

And she cried.

Neteyam lifted the hand under her head, softly stroking her hair, "We're okay.... it's okay." Her breathing became brief again, but she calmed at the boy's touch, quieting down. Her breathing never slowed however, and tears quietly stained her cheeks. It had to of been from the cuffs earlier or the pain in her head and leg, but she couldn't slow her breathing as she needed to keep taking in air. Although it hurt, she moved her body closer to his legs, her arms and tail wrapping around the boys left leg. His hand stayed on her hair and peace took over her mind; she closed her eyes in the boy's embrace. She felt safe with him, even as they fought for their lives earlier, she knew he'd be there for her. In all honesty, she didn't mind fighting to protect him either. Receiving this comfort was more than enough.

Neteyam listened to her, making sure the sound of her breathing never stopped, that her chest wouldn't stop rising and falling. Despite her being awake, her body warm and flush against his leg, fear filled his thoughts that she would disappear in an instant. He never thought they'd be so close because of a fight against the sky people, that it would be him comforting her instead of being able to smile and be in each other's arms away from harm's way. A small stream of guilt took over the boy's mind, but even then, he knew the most he could do now was comfort her. To be a gentle reminder she was safe. He would never know how much it had meant to Kireyi though. He could only hope he chose right, that he had learned enough about her that this was the right choice. He knew she wasn't going to leave him, although the girl moved like the tides of the water- in and out.... push and pull. She was as resilient as the sea in a storm, she would push until no longer possible. Neteyam could only regret not being able to protect her as much as she did him.

They sat like that for a while, until their mother's had come back to see their children with each other again. Even awake now they were tied to the hip and both of the mothers looked to each other in complete understanding. Ronal sat next to her daughter and Neteyam moved his hand from her hair, letting her mother take his place. She settled her daughter against her own chest, slowly feeding the girl. Kireyi laid her head on her mother's shoulder taking in the familiar warmth, relishing in the moment she practically begged for on the boat before being saved. Neteyam's mother had done the same for her son, asking him questions and making sure he was alright.

"How are you my girl," Kireyi's mother asked, giving her another drink of herbal tea. She sunk in the floral smell, enjoying the sweet taste. Opening her mouth though, nothing came out. Her throat had hurt too bad- was too sore to get any words out. Her mother had noticed, shushing and calming her daughter, "It's alright, I'll make you some ointment in a few."

Kireyi nodded snuggling closer to her mother, the two knew exactly what the young girl's mind trailed to. And before she could cry, Ronal was already whispering soothing words to the girl, "I know.... mawey my Reyi." She swayed her daughter back and forth, and muted tears fell from Kireyi's eyes, "We will hold a ceremony for our sister's, you will run it. It will be your first ceremony."

Kireyi couldn't believe the words out of her mother's mouth, her first ceremony being for their spirit sister's scared her, her first step to Tsahik- was her sister. What if she didn't do it correctly? Or if the connection she needed to go through with the tradition was lost. The girl didn't even know if she could feel Eleu anymore, an emptiness filling her own soul. Her head nuzzled farther into her mother's shoulder, and they continued to rock. Both children took in their own mother's embraces, awaiting their other family to be allowed in.