Preface

Unknown POV

**20 years ago**

Horror. Complete and utter horror. That was the only thing she could feel.

Her brothers and sisters, almost her entire species, wiped out in a single night. She couldn't believe the news, didn't want to believe it. How could this have happened?

And then she knew, Asmodeus. This was his doing. It had to be.

The vampire king had made it no secret that he despised witches and warlocks; she was evidence of that. Locked up, deep beneath the ground, in the king's dungeon.

But she never thought he would target the entire species. And to take them all out in a single night, how is that even possible? It was then that she remembered the guard that was standing outside her cell. The one who gave her this news. On the king's order, she was sure. Another way to torture her.

He was Fae, and so she knew he couldn't lie. And he had told her in plain, simple words. So, it wasn't a trick, it must be true. She looked up at him and asked one question.

"How?"

The fae man just stood there, staring at her for a moment before he said, "It was their friends, their lovers, their mates. At exactly nine o'clock, they all turned on them. Killed them, in service of their king."

It seemed impossible, but she knew how charming and manipulative Asmodeus was. If anyone could convince someone to murder their fated mate, it was Asmodeus. But it shouldn't be possible, mates protect each other at all costs. How could he have convinced so many people to do this, to kill every witch they knew? Even their mates.

It's no secret that being mated to someone of a different species was a new phenomenon. But it had become increasingly common over the last ten years. It took people time to get used to it, but she thought it had finally become widely accepted. There was no more talk of rejecting your mate if they happened to be of a different species.

And all of the supernatural species had been living in peace for so long, friends with each other even. So, how did Asmodeus convince everyone to turn on the witches and warlocks? What made them do it? And then she remembered the last thing the fae guard had said, 'in service of their king'.

Asmodeus was the vampire king, not the king of all supernaturals. But it seemed he had bigger ambitions. For someone like Asmodeus, all the power in the world would never be enough. So, she knew he would never stop. And this is just the beginning.