Chapter Two

I don't have time to think about the absurdity of the situation, I just react. I quickly switch my dagger from my right hand to my left as I say, "Uh, sorry. But no, thanks."

As my words register with them, they both start to take steps toward me. Now that my right hand is free, I snap my fingers, and they both freeze mid-stride.

Now that I have a second to breathe and think, I realize why they looked so drastically different from each other. The dark-haired one is a werewolf, and the blonde is a vampire. The dark eyes that I assumed were brown are actually a deep dark red. Great, two guys mistakenly think I'm their mate and of course one of them has to be a leech. Just my luck. I need to get the hell out of here, for real this time.

Before taking off, I glance back at the two men who stepped out of the shadows first, before the werewolf and vampire walked out of the club. They had stepped into the light more and I can now see their features a little better. The first to catch my attention is the slightly shorter of the two. He is very obviously fae, the slight point at the tops of his ears makes that obvious.

He is beautiful, of course. All fae are. They have an unearthly beauty that never ceases to amaze me. He has light brown hair, styled in a slight quiff on top of his head, and the most vibrant green eyes I have ever seen. His skin is flawless golden like he spends every day out in the sun.

I turn my attention to the last guy. He is easily the tallest out of the four of them. And he is just as gorgeous as his friends. His black hair is worn short in a crew cut. I can just make out a light stubble along his jaw and cheeks. And his eyes are the darkest brown I have ever seen.

I can't tell what species he is though. The definition in his muscles would lead me to believe he's a werewolf, but that just doesn't feel right. As I am contemplating what species he could be, I suddenly realize something. And it makes my heart stop for the second time tonight.

He isn't frozen.

He is standing still, just looking at me. But I can see that he is blinking and breathing. I glance over at the Fae man standing next to him, but he's still frozen. I look back to the tall, dark-haired man and I can feel my eyes widen as he raises one perfectly shaped eyebrow.

"What..." I try to ask a question, but nothing comes out. Why didn't he freeze? This has never happened before.

I take a hesitant step back, still staring at this enigma of a man. He takes a step forward to match my step back. And that one step brings him into the light more, just enough for me to see that I was wrong in my assessment of him.

His eyes aren't dark brown, they are black. His pupil and iris are the same color, making his eyes look fathomless. And now I know what species he is, even though I have never come across one in person.

"Demon."

The word slips from my mouth before I can even think about it.

The demon gives me an evil smirk and takes another step toward me.

I quickly reach into my purse and pull out a small pouch. When I throw it on the ground in front of my feet, I am instantly engulfed in a cloud of thick black smoke.

"Abscondere me" I mutter the cloaking spell under my breath.

This spell will make me temporarily invisible, while also masking my scent so that I can't be tracked.

I promptly turn around and dodge the werewolf and vampire who are still frozen, sprinting toward the street.

I keep running at top speed for at least ten blocks, and then finally slow down. I make sure to check my surroundings and make sure I am not somehow being followed.