Chapter Nineteen

The girl is gorgeous, of course. Long, dark brown hair with high cheekbones. She is slim but has nice curves from what I can tell. And she has dark black eyes, so she must be a demon as well.

Everett and I stop in the doorway to the living room, not moving further in.

I am not sure how I feel. Annoyed, embarrassed, hurt? All of the above?

Devlin and I aren't mates yet, and I haven't even decided if I want us to be. Plus, we haven't even kissed. So, I shouldn't feel anything at all. But, I do feel annoyed, embarrassed, and hurt by this little scene.

Although, if this is what he's like then I would rather know now, before I am too invested.

Everett clears his throat, and both Devlin and the girl look over at us.

"Ria, you should go," Devlin says and starts to push her off of him.

She doesn't budge though.

"Is this why I haven't been allowed to come over recently?" She asks, in a slightly whiny voice, while glaring at me.

I glare right back at her.

I don't care that she is a demon. She is the one who came into our home and is all over one of my mates, or future mate, or possible future mate. Whatever. She has no reason to be bitchy to me.

When Devlin doesn't say anything, I turn to Everett.

"I'm going to go change."

I start to turn away from the room and toward the stairs, when her voice stops me.

"That's right, run away. That's all you pathetic little witches do."

I barely even think, so filled with rage. I turn back to her and use a spell I usually save as a last resort when hunting.

"Volare."

I focus all of my energy on her as I say the spell, and as soon as the word leaves my lips, she is suddenly thrown off Devlin's lap and flies through the air until she hits the wall on the other side of the living room.

There is a big crash as she slams into the wall, breaking some picture frames.

She lands on the floor in a heap, but she doesn't stay down for long. With a growl, she heaves herself off the ground and back to standing.

"You bitch!" She snarls and I can see that her teeth are growing and becoming sharper.

Everett quickly pulls me back and steps halfway in front of me, to protect me from her.

Just as she takes a step toward me though, her body freezes.

I look around confused, because I didn't freeze her. But then, I realize that she is not totally frozen, her head is still moving.

"Release me, Devlin! She can't treat me that way!" Ria screams.

I look over to Devlin and he is now standing and staring at Ria. I don't have time to even contemplate how he was able to do that and what powers he has.

"You came into our home, uninvited. And then insulted her. You got what you deserved. Now, leave."

I have never heard Devlin's voice like this. I thought he always sounded angry, but that is nothing compared to this.

She looks at Devlin like he is crazy, but then her expression quickly turns to fear. I can't see the look on Devlin's face, since his back is turned to me, but I can imagine it is bad.

She looks back at me and gives me one last glare.

"This isn't over, Witch Bitch!"

Then she shifts and disappears from the room.