Chapter Nine

I awaken from my slumber very suddenly. I feel a deep sadness and gnawing guilt for a few moments, and then the feelings fade. 

I'm confused, not sure where the feelings came from. Maybe the feelings were left over from a dream, I can't remember what I was dreaming about though. As always.

I try to roll over to get more comfortable, but a weight around my waist stops me. I look over, blinking the sleep from my eyes, and see Everett lying next to me in the dark.

Oh, right. I almost forgot that I let him sleep in here with me.

He was a perfect gentleman and kept his hands to himself like he said he would when we got into bed. And just like he said would happen, he was asleep within moments. It seems that while we were asleep, he moved closer though.

His arm is wrapped around my waist, holding me tightly to himself. I don't mind though, and I know that I can't blame him for it since he did it in his sleep.

I close my eyes to try and go back to sleep. But as soon as I do, I realize that I have to pee. 

Damn, I'm not going to be able to sleep until I go to the bathroom now.

I try to wiggle away from Everett a little, but his arm tightens, pulling me back toward him. 

I sigh and decide to grab his arm, lifting it away from my body and slipping out from under it. He grumbles a little bit but doesn't wake up. I scoot to the edge of the bed and then hop down, heading for the bathroom.

After relieving myself, I walk back into the bedroom. But I don't get back into bed. I'm not sure why, but I have a sudden urge to go downstairs.

I pause for a moment and take stock of what I am feeling. I can feel the sadness and guilt again, but not as strong this time. And I know it's not coming from me. It's weird, but I can just tell that the emotions aren't mine. 

And then I remember what Everett told me about the mate bond, that I would start to be able to feel their emotions. I look over at Everett and see that he is still fast asleep, so I don't think it is coming from him. It must be Keaton. He must be back.

I look at the clock on my nightstand and see that it is two o'clock in the afternoon. Everett will still be asleep for a while then.

Keaton must be downstairs, that's why I got the urge to go down there. I decide to follow the notion, only a little bit reluctant. The last time I saw Keaton, he was upset with me. But based on the emotions I am feeling from him something else must have happened to make him feel this way.

I head out of my room, shutting the door behind me, and then quietly make my way down the hall and to the stairs.

As I head down the stairs I start to hear something. It sounds like glass bottles being moved around and clanking against each other. The sounds are coming from the direction of the living room, so as I get to the bottom of the stairs I turn left and enter that room.  

Keaton is there, sitting on one of the couches. He has a bottle in his hand that he is drinking straight from, it looks like whiskey or rum maybe.

There is a little cart sitting next to the couch which is full of bottles of alcohol. 

"Keaton, are you okay?" I ask as I walk over to him.

He looks up at me, but his eyes are unfocused. He is clearly drunk. This is strange since it takes a lot for werewolves to get drunk. How long has he been down here drinking by himself?

When Keaton doesn't say anything, I sit next to him. He looks away from me and starts to bring the bottle back to his lips for another drink. My hand shoots out and grabs the bottle before he can take another drink though. I set the bottle on the coffee table in front of us and then turn back to Keaton.