Derrick (31)

My eyes fly open, looking around for Beth.I spot her sleeping form and begin to relax a bit. Not much considering she hasn’t woken up in two days; going on three. Nurses have been in and out of this room, checking her vital signs and checking if there has been any changes at all. We’re not at a normal hospital; no, we’re in a hospital that works with some of the packs a few states over.  “Still not sleeping well Derrick?” My dad calls from the door way. My parents have been coming by every few hours or so to check on us. Mom recognized Beth almost immediately when she got here; even in her panicked state. Samson didn’t tell her what was going on; just told her they needed to get here now and fast. Of course they thought it was me that was going to be laying in the bed.   “Thank god, you’re ok!” She had said through her tears as she hugged me tight. Then she pulled back searching my face. “If you’re ok then why are we”, She trailed off as she took in Beth’s still form on the bed. “What is Beth doing here, Derrick what’s going on?” She wasn’t happy about the things that transpired in our basement that summer, but that didn’t mean that she had completely written Beth off either.  

           Samson stayed with Beth while my parents and I went down to the cafeteria; where I told them how Beth and I ran into eachother. Of course I left out the part where I didn’t automatically tell her who I was at first but they didn’t need to know all that.  “So, why would Ben do all of this?” My dad finally asked after I told him about how he basically stalked Beth and then my suspicions about the missing and dead women. “He called her his Banphrionsa mac tíre beag. I have tried to overlook it in the beginning but I just can’t let it go anymore.” I say placing my head in my hands. The three of us remain quiet for a moment before my dad asks, “Do you want me to notify the council?” I shake my head. “ No, I will take care of it. I’m supposed to be the pack leader, his sins fall on me and me alone. I saw the signs that he was slipping and did nothing about it.” It feels like a rock is settling in my belly. I will have to answer to the council for not stepping in. 

             Beth is still asleep when we get back up to her room. Mom walks over, laying her hand on Beths, talking softly to her. Dad has me wait outside for a moment. “ Are you sure that you want to do this alone. I know how the council can be.” I tell him that that wont be necessary, that I’m not alone. He just gives me a look, then my mother walks out whispering into my dads ear. His eyes grow wide with whatever she is telling him.  Shortly after they both walk back into the room and I follow. Thats when I notice they have both lowered their heads, close to Beth. One look at Samson tells me that they have scented us both on Beth. “ Derrick.” My mother says in surprise. “Yes mother,” I try to conceal my humor. “Not that we’re trying to get into your business or anything; well we scent Samson on Beth but, we can also scent you on her also.” Mom looks confused, dad on the other hand is behind her smiling because he knows.  “Dear, I’m sure if you think about it hard enough; you’ll figure it out.” Dad, says placing his hand on her shoulder. Mom leans in, looking at one side of Beths neck and then the other. She gasps in shock, her hands flying to her mouth. “ How is this even possible?”  Dad turns her to face him, “ We’ll you see, it works the same way but there are two.”  She slaps at his chest, “ Oh my god, shut up. How were they both able to claim her; that is what I was asking about.” She motions to both sides of Beths neck. 

               Mom left after dad made a few phone calls, asking a few packmates to look into the last time this happened; if this has ever happened. A moan slips past Beths lips, but it’s not a sexual sound. Samson and I are both at her side in an instant, Samson on one side and I on the other. “Beth, we’re right here. Can you hear me princess?” Samson says as he rubs her hand. “We’ve been talking to her, letting her know that we are here. Hell I have even tried reaching her through the link that we share, but nothing.” I say, never taking my eyes off of her.  “ How did her mom take it; that her daughter is a werewolf?” Dad asks, I know that he is trying to keep my mind from thinking dark thoughts.  Samsons head pops up, “ Thats something we should discuss with the doctor while she’s here.”  I look over to my dad, who has moved to the foot of the bed. “ Well, as you had always said Steve wasn’t her father and Mel wasn’t so nice to Beth when she called wanting answers. She is a hateful bitch and I don’t see how Steve put up with her.” I smile before adding, “ Although, I’m not sure what was funnier; Mel finding out that Beth is like her real father or that we found each other.”  “Melody talked so bad to Beth about Derrick, our friends and you. You would have been proud of Beth; she shut that shit down so fast.”Samson says, finally speaking up. “Dad, I really need to tell you something. Something that I should have told you and mom years ago.” I say, turning to finally look at him. I study him for a moment, his dark hair has some silver in it, his face has so many laugh lines, but they suit him well. They show that he has had a great life; one full of love and happy times. When I snap out of my thoughts, he is standing in front of me; he reaches out and places his hand on my shoulder. “ Anything son, as your mother and I have always told you; never be afraid to tell us anything.” He says as his eyes search my face.