𝓨𝓮𝓪𝓻 1, 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 4: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓙𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓷𝓮𝔂 𝓯𝓻𝓸𝓶 𝓟𝓵𝓪𝓽𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓶 𝓝𝓲𝓷𝓮 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮-𝓠𝓾𝓪𝓻𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓼

~ chapter four: the journey from platform nine and three-quarters ~

Harry and Y/N's last month with the Dursleys wasn't fun. For beginners, Mr. Brunson had been so afraid of Y/N that he had given her stuff back to her and sent her to live with the Dursleys. This was pretty much the only highlight: that she wouldn't be in that orphanage anymore, and therefore not be able to see Sadie hopefully ever again.

Now, true, Dudley was now so scared of them the wouldn't stay in the same room, while Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon didn't shut them up, force them to do anything, or shout at them - in fact, they didn't speak to them at all. Half terrified, half furious, they acted as though any chair with Harry or Y/N in it were empty. Although this was an improvement in many ways, it did become a bit depressing after a while.

Harry and Y/N kept to their room - Harry had let Y/N share his room and even got a mattress for Y/N to sleep on and a warm blanket - with their new owls for company. Harry had decided to call his owl Hedwig, a name he had found in A History of Magic, where as Y/N had decided to call her owl Hades, the name of the god of the underworld - and oddly enough, that was her favorite god. Their school books were very interesting. They both lay on Harry's bed, reading late into the night, Hedwig and Hades swooping in and out of the open window as they pleased. It was lucky that Aunt Petunia didn't come in to vacuum anymore, because Hedwig and Hades kept bringing back dead mice. Every night before he went to sleep, Harry and Y/N took turns ticking off another day on the piece of paper they had pinned to the wall, counting down to September the first. When Y/N had ticked off a day, she went to bed, and Harry would just watch her sleep for a few minutes before going to sleep himself.

On the last day of August Harry thought they'd better speak to his aunt and uncle about getting to King's Cross Station the next day, so they both went down to the living room where they were watching a quiz show on television. Y/N cleared her throat to make their presence known, and Dudley screamed and ran from the room.

Damn, I wish I could have caught that on camera, Y/N thought, internally sighing at another lost opportunity. She then turned her attention to Harry's aunt and uncle, who Harry was starting to talk to.

"Er - Uncle Vernon?"

Uncle Vernon grunted to show he was listening.

"Er - we need to be at King's Cross tomorrow to - to go to Hogwarts."

Uncle Vernon grunted again.

"Would it be all right if you gave us a lift?" Y/N queried.

Grunt. The two supposed that meant yes.

"Thank you," Harry said.

The two were about to go back upstairs when Uncle Vernon actually spoke.

"Funny way to get to a wizards' school, the train. Magic carpets all got punctures, have they?"

Harry didn't say anything, and he caught Y/N's eye and shook his head to signify she shouldn't say anything either.

"Where is this school, anyway?"

"I don't know," said Harry, realizing this for the first time. He and Y/N both pulled the tickets Hagrid had given them out of their pockets.

"We just have to take the train from platform nine and three-quarters at eleven o' clock," Y/N read.

Harry's aunt and uncle stared.