𝓨𝓮𝓪𝓻 3, 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 1: Owl Post

~ chapter one: owl post ~

hello everyone! before i start the first chapter of third year, i just want to address something. 

a lot of people are commenting ideas of what i should do for this year, and i LOVE IT. keep 'em coming, guys!

but unfortunately, i won't be able to squish the full recommendations in. i already have the core story planned out, so this may result in some modifications of your requests. of course, i absolutely would LOVE to squeeze all of your suggestions, truly, but it would be too confusing and it would overlap with the story outline i've made already. and we all know how long i can keep you guys waiting. i don't want to keep y'all waiting for too long. 

but please keep in mind i love you all dearly, and i would love to see more ideas from you guys. but i'm sure this book already has, like, a hundred plot holes, and i don't want to add more. i'll have to see what i can fix when i go back to revise after 'twisted' is officially completed before i start/continue any of my other stories. i hope you can understand.

Harry Potter and Y/N Black were highly unusual kids in many different ways. For one thing, they hated the summer holidays more than any other time of year. For another, they really wanted to do their homework but were forced to do it in secret, in the dead of night. And they also happened to be wizards.

It was nearly midnight, and they were lying on their stomachs in Harry's bed, the blankets drawn right over their heads like a tent, both having flashlights in one hand as sharing a large leather-bound book (A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot) propped open against the pillow. Y/N frowned as she moved the tip of her eagle-feather quill down the page, looking for something that would help her and Harry write their essays, "Witch Burning in the Fourteenth Century Was Completely Pointless—discuss."

Harry hesitated before reaching out to stop her hand at the top of a likely paragraph. A faint layer of red covered Y/N's cheeks (she was thankful it was dark) as she removed her hand and brushed her hair out of her eyes and they both read:

'Non-magic people (more commonly known as Muggles) were particularly afraid of magic in medieval times, but not very good at recognizing it. On the rare occasion that they did catch a real witch or wizard, burning had no effect whatsoever. The witch or wizard would perform a basic Flame-Freezing Charm and then pretend to shriek with pain while enjoying a gentle, tickling sensation. Indeed, Wendelin the Weird enjoyed being burned so much that she allowed herself to be caught no less than forty-seven times in various disguises.'

Y/N and Harry both put their quills between their teeth and reached underneath Harry's pillow for their ink bottles and their rolls of parchment. Slowly and carefully they unscrewed their ink bottles, dipped their quills into them, and began to write, pausing every now and then to listen, because if any of the Dursleys heard the scratching of their quills on their way to the bathroom, they'd probably find themselves locked in the cupboard under the stairs for the rest of the summer.

The Dursley family of number four, Privet Drive, was the reason that Harry and Y/N never enjoyed their summer holidays. Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and their son, Dudley, were Harry's only living relatives. They were Muggles, and they had a very medieval attitude towards magic. Harry's dead parents and Y/N's dead mum, who had been magical themselves, were never mentioned under the Dursleys' roof. For years, Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, and Mr. Brunson had hoped that if they kept Harry and Y/N as downtrodden as possible, they would be able to squash the magic out of them. To their fury, they had been unsuccessful.