𝓨𝓮𝓪𝓻 2, 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 3: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓑𝓾𝓻𝓻𝓸𝔀

~ chapter three: the burrow ~

"Ron!" breathed Harry, creeping to the window with Y/N and pushing it up so they could talk through the bars. "Ron, how did you — What the—?"

Harry and Y/N's mouths fell open as the full impact of what they were seeing hit them. Ron was leaning out of the back window of an old turquoise car, which was parked in midair. Grinning at Harry and Y/N from the front seats were Fred and George, Ron's elder twin brothers.

"All right, Harry? Y/N?" asked George.

"What's been going on?" said Ron. "Why haven't either of you been answering any of my letters? I've asked you both to stay about twelve times, and then Dad came home and said you both had gotten an official warning for using magic in front of Muggles—"

"It wasn't us," Harry protested, "and how did he know?"

"He works for the Ministry," said Ron. "You know we're not supposed to do spells outside of school—"

"You should talk," said Y/N, staring at the floating car. 

"Oh, this?" Ron chuckled as he patted the side of the car. "This doesn't count. We're only borrowing this. It's Dad's, we didn't enchant it. But doing magic in front of those Muggles you live with—"

"I told you, we didn't," Harry said again, "but that'll take too long to explain now — look, can you tell them at Hogwarts that the Dursleys have locked us up and won't let us come back, and obviously we can't magic ourselves out, because the Ministry'll think that's the second spell we've done in three days, so —"

"Stop your rambling," said Ron. "We've come to take you home with us."

"But you can't magic us out, either," Y/N pointed out.

"We don't need to," said Ron, jerking his head toward the front seat and grinning. "You forget who I've got with me."

"Tie that around the bars," said Fred, throwing the end of a rope to Harry.

"If the Dursleys wake up, we're dead," said Harry as he tied the rope tightly around a bar and Fred revved up the car.

"Don't worry," said Fred, "and stand back."

Harry and Y/N moved back into the shadows next to Hedwig and Hades, both of whom seemed to have realized how important this was and kept still and quiet. The car revved louder and louder and suddenly, with a crunching noise, the bars were pulled clean out of the window as Fred drove straight up in the air. Harry and Y/N ran back to the window to see the bars dangling a few feet above the ground. Panting, Ron hoisted them up into the car. Harry listened anxiously, but there was no sound from the Dursleys' bedroom. 

When the bars were safely in the back seat with Ron, Fred reversed as close as possible to Harry and Y/N's window.

"Get in," Ron said.

"But all our Hogwarts stuff — our wands — our broomsticks—"

"Where are they?"

"Locked in my old bedroom — in the cupboard under the stairs, and we can't get out of our room—"

"No problem," said George from the front passenger seat. "Out of the way, Harry, Y/N."

Fred and George climbed catlike through the window into their room. You had to hand it to them, thought Y/N as George took an ordinary hairpin from his pocket and started to pick the lock.