𝓨𝓮𝓪𝓻 3, 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 4: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓛𝓮𝓪𝓴𝔂 𝓒𝓪𝓾𝓵𝓭𝓻𝓸𝓷

~ chapter four: the leaky cauldron ~

y'all. OVER 7K reads and 380 votes. this is just beautiful.

also, I have a new tiktok account with the same username as my Wattpad one (poisonivies13). I will be posting spoilers to this book and other books, so please consider following if you wanna see more of that.

It took Y/N several days to get used to her and Harry's strange new freedom. Never before had she been able to get up whenever she wanted or eat whatever she fancied. She and Harry could even go wherever they pleased, as long as it was in Diagon Alley, and as this long cobbled street was packed Wirth the most fascinating Wizarding shops in the world, neither of them felt any desire to break their word to Fudge and stray back into the Muggle world.

Y/N and Harry ate breakfast each morning in the Leaky Cauldron, where they liked watching the other guests: funny little witches from the country, up for a day's shopping; venerable-looking wizards arguing over the latest article in Transfiguration Today; wild-looking warlocks; raucous dwarfs; and once, what looked suspiciously like a hat, who ordered a plate of raw liver from behind a thick woolen balaclava.

After breakfast they would go out into the backyard, take out their wands, tap the third brick fro, the left above the trash bin, and stand back as the archway into Diagon Alley opened in the wall.

They spent the long sunny days exploring the shops and eating under the brightly colored umbrellas outside cafés, where their fellow diners were showing one another their purchases ("It's a lunascope, old boy—no more messing around with moon charts, see?") or else discussing the case of Sirius Black ("Personally, I won't let any of the children out of the children out alone until he's back in Azkaban"). They didn't have to do their homework under the blankets by flashlight anymore; now they could sit in the bright sunshine outside Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor, finishing all their essays with occasional help from Florean Foretescue himself, who, apart from knowing a great deal about medieval witch burnings, gave Harry and Y/N free sundaes every half an hour.

Once they had filled their money bags with gold Galleons, silver Sickles, and bronze Knuts from their vaults at Gringotts, they had to exercise a lot of self-control not to spend the whole lot at once. They had to keep reminding themselves that they had five years to go at Hogwarts, and how it would feel to ask the Dursleys for money for spellbooks, to stop the shelves from buying handsome sets of solid gold Gobstones (a Wizarding game rather like marbles, in which the stones squirt a nasty-smelling liquid into the other player's face when they lost a point). They were sorely tempted, too, by the perfect, moving model of the galaxy in a large glass ball, which would have meant they never had to take another Astronomy lesson. But the thing that tested their resolution most appeared in their favorite shop, Quality Quidditch Supplies, a week after they'd arrived at the Leaky Cauldron.

Curious to know what the crowd in the ship was staring at, Y/N and Harry edged their way inside and squeezed in among the excited witches and wizards until they glimpsed a newly erected podium, on which was mounted the most magnificent broom Y/N had ever seen in her life.

"Just come out—prototype—" a square-jawed wizard was telling his companion.

"It's the fastest broom in the world, isn't it, Dad?" squeaked a boy younger than them both, who was swinging off his father's arm.

"Irish International Side's just put in an order for seven of these beauties!" the proprietor of the shop told the crowd. "And they're favorites for the World Cup!"