Chapter 39

Monday July 30
10:30 am
Dallas' POV
It's finally here. Adoption day. It's been hell of a couple months. "Jordan come sit with me." I say to her while she pacing. She's really nervous. She comes and sits next to me. The past couple weeks have been so chaotic. Just thinking of the girls process is amazing. Jordan has gained about three pounds. Maddie seems happier. Meadow has become so open and she is an amazing little girl.
Everyone is here, Mom, Dad, Miss Taylor, Mrs. Carter, and Corrbin.
"Jordan. it's time," some lady says popping her head out of the door. Jordan slowly stands and grabs Corrbins hand. We follows everyone in and sits next to Demi and Nick.
"This is a big day. Today is the adoption of River Jordana Mendez. Any comments Mom and Dad? "
Demi stands, "This is the day that we have been waiting for since Nick and I have had Jordan. She's an amazing young women who Nick and I are so proud to call our daughter."
"I can see you two love Jordan very much. River is there anything you would like to say?"
"I'm just so happy this day has finally happened. I love you all. Everyone in this room. I'm glad you all apart of my family. I'm so happy I have a new Mom and Dad who love me as much as I love them."
"That's amazing Jordan. I have seen you here a few times and I must say I've never seen this sparkle that you have in your eyes. Can I have you come up here and sign these papers."
I watch as Jordan stands shakey and she walks behind the stand. She signs the papers. "It's final. How about some pictures."
We all group around the judge. We take pictures. Then some of just Demi, Nick and Jordan. Then some with Meadow. Then just Corrbin and Jordan.
"Okay let's go to dinner."
We all file out to our cars, "Hey Mom I'm going to ride with Dallas."
"Okay, Meadow, Corrbin you are with us. Maddie ride with Mom and Dad."
I start the car and begin to drive. "Dallas I'm scared."
"Scared of what?"
"The trial. I don't want to do this. it's in three days and I'm scared."
"I know, but you're a Lovato now. You're a warrior and everyone will be there to support you."
"That's the thing. I don't want everyone to know. I just want Mom and Dad there, but I dont want everyone to think I'm a brat."
"Baby, no one will think you are a brat. I'll talk to Demi and make sure that everything will be okay."
"Thanks Dally. I love you."
"I love you too. Now smile buttercup it's a happy day."
She smiles. We get to Olive Garden and we order. "Okay while we wait for our food we are going to say our favorite thing about Jordan." Demi anounces. "I'll start Jordan my favorite thing about you is your passion."
"My favorite thing about Jordan, is how big her heart is and that I'm her favorite because I'm her daddy." Nick says and Demi rolls her eyes.
"My favorite thing about Jordan is how great she is at understanding." Maddie says.
"My favorite thing about Jordan is her smile, it brightens my day." Mom says.
"My favorite thing about Jordan even though I haven't spent much time with her is how smart and talented she is." Dad says.
"My favorite thing about Jordan is her humbleness when it come to dance." Mrs. Carter says.
"My favorite thing about Jordan is her willingness to try no matter how hard things are." Miss Taylor says.
"My favorite thing about River is her name River, and she's pretty." Carpenter says smiling.
"My favorite thing about Jordan is how strong she is." I say.
"My favorite thing about Jordan is how loyal she is. How she never forgot me. How she saved me and she is the best big sister ever." Meadow says.
"Stop, you guy I love you all so much." Jordan says with tears in her eyes.
"Okay, here's your food." The waitress says.
We eat quietly and then go out to our cars, "Okay, everyone let's go back to the house."
We all get into our cars and get back to the house. Demi had Marissa get a cake, a bounce house, and a slide to the pool. "Welcome home! LETS PARTY!" Marisa screams.
We all spilt ways and go and change.

Jordan's POV

"River, I don't have a swim suit." Meadow tells me.
"It's okay, I have one that will fit you."
"Okay." I hand her the suit and she runs off to the bathroom. I change into my suit and thrown on a crop top and shorts over it. "I don't have any clothes to go over this." I find a pair of old shorts and a tank top she can wear. She slips it on. I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing she can wear my clothes. I go into the bathroom and pull my hair into a ponytail.
"River, will you braid my hair into a ponytail, please."
"Yeah come over here." She kneels down in front of me and I braid her hair.
"River, have I been good?"
"Yes, why would you ask?"
"Well Demi and Nick love you so much.  I want to be good. I want them to love me like they love you. Do you think they love me?"
"I do." She stands and smiles in the mirror. I smile at her smile.
"Let's go party!" She screams grabbing my hand pulling me into the backyard.
"There are my two beautiful daughters." Dad says.
Meadow let's go it my hand so fast and runs to Dad. She jumps into a hug, and he stumbles a little bit, "Hey princess, what's up?" Dad asks her confused.
"You called me your daughter, I love you." She says.
Dad kisses her forehead, "I love you too, princess."
All of a sudden I'm lifted, "Ugh! What the fuck! NO! NO! NOO!" I scream.
"Watch your mouth!" I hear Grandma yell just as I hit the water. I come up for air and Mom, Dallas, and Maddie are laying in the grass laughing. I stomp out of the pool and over to them.
"Pay back's a bitch."
"Language!" Grandma yells.
I stomp into the house and change. I pass Grandpa and Dad, they are watching baseball. I go outside to the bounce house. I hop along by myself till Mom joins me and it's funny because she's like a four year old.
"River!" Carpenter yells crawling through the hole.
"Hey buddy."
"Let's play!"
"Okay, how about hide and seek?"
"YES!" Mom screams.
"Yeah!" Carpenter yells.
"We are gonna play hide and seek, house is off limits, one, two, three. NOT IT!"
"NOT IT!" Everyone yells but Maddie is distinctly last.
"Dang it!"
"Count to fifty."
"One." She starts counting and we all take off in all different directions. It's funny because Meadow and Carpenter want to hide with me. I put Carpenter on my back and have Meadow head up the tree. We all make it up there, "We sit up here till they find us. So shh."
Carpenter smiles and nods. Meadow heads up the tree a little further. She whispers, "I'm on top of the world." Carpenter shhhs her and I giggle.
"Dallas is it!" Maddie screams.
We sit in the tree till everyone has been it, except for us. Now they have a search party for us. "Hey carpenter! Where are you?!" They all scream. They all quiet down and then Mom screams, "Hey Carpenter and Meadow we have ice cream!"
"Ice cream! Jordan take me down!" Carpenter screams. Everyone laughs.
"Okay grab on to my back."
I climb down, everyone is waiting for us at the bottom of the tree. "Where's the ice cream?" Carpenter asks bouncing.
"Let's go inside and get some, handsome." Dallas says holding out her hand.
"River I can't get down." Meadow yells.
"Okay, I'm coming." I climb back up the tree to Meadow, "Get on my back." She does and wraps her arms around my neck and legs around my waist.
"Sorry I know how to get up there but I don't know how to get down. "
"It's okay, let's go and get some ice cream."
She hops off my back and grabs my hand. We go inside and everyone screams "HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!"
I scream and jump, "Don't do that." I say and stomp my foot.
Dad laughs, "Looks like someone's getting sleepy."
"Yes, that I am." I snap back. "What kind of ice cream do we have."
"Cookies and cream." Mom says.
"Ohhhh give me." By the time everyone is down with their ice cream it's nine O'clock. Carpenter and Meadow are asleep on the couch.
"Thanks everyone for coming. This is really the best day of my life. I'm sorry I was a little grumpy and snappy. I'm tired. I'm gonna go to bed. I love you all."
"Hey, Jordan wait." Grandpa stops me on the stairs.
"Yeah?"
"I was wondering if you would like to go to breakfast, and go to a field and play catch together tomorrow or something?"
"Yeah sure. What time?"
"I'll be here at 9:30."
"Okay I'll be ready." I give him a hug.  Then go to my room and fall asleep immediately.
*dream*
"It's time to go see Aunt Michelle, Cousin Sophie and Cousin Sam." Dad tells me. The bad thing is Dad's face isn't his it's Nick's.
"Yeah! Sophie! Let's go!" My four year old self screamed.
"Okay let's get dressed."
"Daddy I'm a big girl I can get dressed all by myself."
"Okay hurry up."
I run to my closet. I squirmed into my cheeta print leggings, and neon green tutu. I tucked my black button up into my tutu. Then slipped on my neon green convers. Then I ran down stairs "Daddy, I ready! Tie my shoes please." Mom came out of the kitchen. Except it's not Mom, it's Demi. "Oh, Daddy let you dress yourself, uh?"
"Yep! It's awesome! "
"Okay, baby sit down." Mom, Demi ties my shoes. We head to Aunt Michelle's, "River go play with Sam and Sophie, they're up stairs." I run up stairs and burst into Sam's room. He's in top of Sophie, and she's crying.
"STOP!" I yell and jump onto Sam's bare back. He doesn't stop so I bite him hard. He flings me into the wall. Mom and Dad rush upstairs and then Sophie disappears. "Sophie!" I scream.
**dream**
"Jordan wake up." Dad says shaking me.
"I need to go to my house." I say getting out of bed.
"Baby it's almost three in the morning. Go back to sleep I'll take you in the morning."
"No," I snap,"I need to go now."
"I can't take you, I've been drinking, so has dallas and your Mom is sleeping." He explains.
Just then Meadow walks in crying. "What's wrong?" I ask her.
"I want Demi. I want Mommy." She whispers.
"Come here baby. Tell Daddy what's wrong?"
"No, please I want De-Mommy." She insists.
"Okay, let's go get her." He grab her hand and turns to me, "I'll be right back." I nod. I wait for them to exit the room. I text Corrbin.
J-Hey you awake?
I then go and sit outside Mom and Dad's room.
"Demi wake up." Dad says.
"What is everything okay? Where are the girls? Are they okay? What's wrong?"
"Woah, babe calm down. Meadow wanted her Mommy."
"Oh, what's wrong princess."
Meadow hesitates, "Can you sleep with me?"
"Yeah, come on."
I go back to my room and sit on the bed. I check my phone.
C-Yes... What's up?
J- You want to go on a late night adventure?
C- YES!!
J- Okay I'll text you with details in a minute.
"Okay, I'll take you in a morning." Dad says walking in.
"Dad, Corrbin will take me."
"Jordan it's three in the morning. Why can't you go in the morning?"
"Because. I need to go now. Please Dad, I'll be safe and with Corrbin."
"You know what? I don't want to argue with you. I want you back by five and I'll talk to you in the morning."
"Okay, thank you Dad."
I rush and get dressed. I head out if the house and to Corrbin's. I call him on the way to his house. "Hey I'm almost to your house, grab a backpack and longboard. I'll be at your house in about ten minutes."
"Okay slight problem. My mom is at work and Coral is home awake so she has to come. My mom wants us home by five."
"Okay. I have to be home by five. We have to go to my house. My real parents house and get some photo albums, I'm outside." Corrbin runs out and hugs me. Coral walks out, and we leave. We are at my house in fifteen minutes. "Okay the lights don't work so we have to use our phones. Let's go to my room first. Then he attic, and I have one in my tree house." We find what I was looking for. It's 4:45 am when I drop Corrbin and Coral off at their house. I get home at 5:15 and Mom is waiting for me.
"I can't believe your father let you leave, but you're grounded."
"But-"
"No, I don't want hear it. Give me your phone, no tv, and no dance, one week."
"But Mommy, I had to go."
"I said I don't want to hear it. Go to bed. Grandpa will be her at 9:30, go."
I nod. I go to my room and begin to cry.
I sit on my bed and go through the photos. I can see their faces and I smile. I haven't forgotten them. I cry harder.
"Jordan it's time to get up, Grandpa will be here in an hour." Mom says opening my door. "Hey, what's wrong?" She sits on my bed.
"I thought I forgot them, and he hurt Sophie too. I don't know where she is." I cry.
"Who is Sophie?"
"My cousin. She's 16 and Sam hurt her.  I had a dream, and my parents were you and Dad not my real parents. I had to get these pictures to make sure I remember them. I miss them so much. Mommy, I miss them."
"I know baby, I know. Do you want me to tell Grandpa another day?"
"No, I just need to shower. I'll be fine."
"Okay, don't wear anything fancy. He wants to see your softball and basketball skills. I'm going to take Meadow shopping do you want to come?"
"Yeah."
"Okay, go get ready for Grandpa."
I shower and put on some running shorts ands tank top and put my hair in a bun and a handband. Just as walk out of my room into Meadow.
"I'm sorry."
"Where are you going?"
"Breakfast with Grandpa."
"Can I come?"
"I don't see why not. Come on let's get you some clothes."
"Okay."
I pull out a tank top and running shorts for her. "Will you pull my hair in a bun like yours?" She asks.
"Yeah, sit on the bed." I grab my brush from the bathroom.
"Jordan! Grandpa's here, come on!" Mom yells.
"Okay one sec." I yell back.
I finish Meadow's hair and we go down stairs. Meadow runs to Dad and hugs him. "Hi Daddy. Look, Creek and I are twinning."
Dad puts her on his hip, and spins her in circles, "I can see that."
I give Grandpa a hug. "Meadow wanted to come... I hope that's okay."
"That's fine." He says.
"Okay let's go get my stuff from the garage."
"Okay."
I hand Grandpa my bucket of softballs and a basketball. He takes it to the car while I pack my bats into my bag. I put it in his car. "Meadow let's go."
"Okay, bye Daddy I love you!" She screams
"Hey, what about me." Mom whines.
"Oh, sorry Mama, I love you too."
"Okay, I love you too."
"Have fun guys. Dad I need them home by two."
"Okay, see you then."
We go to breakfast at IHOP. Then to the court next to the field. We start with basketball, "Meadow you're on Grandpa's team. Jump ball or check?"
"You two call me Papì, and check."
"Okay let's do this. First to 30?"
"Yeah." I check the ball to Meadow and she checks it back to me. I let Grandpa and Meadow score the first ten points, then I go hard.
I score twenty points in a row. "So you let me think I was good." Papì says.
"Not really for you but Meadow she's still a child."
"Well then, Meadow sit out this next half."
"Okay Papì." She whines. I shoot her a look, she knows I hate whining, "Sorry." she whispers.
"Let's go little girl." Papì says with a sly smile.
"Oh, it's on, old man." I say. He tries some slick Michael Jordan moves. But I beat him. He pouts to the softball field.
"Okay since you guys lost, you can bat first."
"Papì, she's really good." Meadow tells him.
I take my softball skills down a couple notches. I let them win simply because Papì is a sore loser.
"Okay, its one thirty, I need to get you guys home. I had a great time with you two today. We need to do this again."
"Definitely. I had so much fun today."
We get into the car and go home. I can hear Dad in the music room. We say our goodbyes. Then go change to go shopping. We load up in the car with Maddie and Dallas. I fall asleep listening Meadow blabber on about how much fun she had.
"Hey sleepy head wake up." Meadow whispers. I wake up. Maddie and I go our separate ways. Between Maddie and I, Meadow it's going to be little punk rock hipster. We meet up at the converse store and pick out some shoes. When we get home it's about six.
"Hey you wanna model your outfits for us?" Maddie asks Meadow.
"Yeah." She runs up stairs with Maddie and the clothes Maddie picked out first.
"Jordan, come here please!" Mom yells from the kitchen.
"Yeah?"
"I need to discuss the schedule with you for the next few weeks. You are the oldest." Mom says, I nod, "Okay so tomorrow is court. I understand you just want me and Dad there that's fine. Thursday, you have school with Miss Taylor. She's going to be tutoring Meadow and Maddie too. Friday, you have therapy for the next two weeks I need you to help Dallas. Monday, is a free day, but we have to the school and get you and the other two enrolled. Then we are going to uniform shopping. Then, Tuesday through Thursday all three of you have tutoring and then you and Meadow have dance. Friday is therapy. Starting next Tuesday Dallas is in charge. You are to follow her rules. Dad and I will be really busy. We are also going to get you your learners permit. Okay?"
"Um, I think I got all of it. can we just get a calendar?"
"Yeah. DALLAS!!"
"Yeah?"
"I need you to run Jordan to Target and get a calender. a big one that can go one the wall."
"Okay."
"Meadow and Maddie I'll be right back don't start the fashion show without me!" I yell.
"Okay." They yell back.
"Here's twenty, keep the change."
"Okay thanks." Dallas drives me to Target and I get a calendar and pack of colored pens and takes and string.
We get home and Maddie shouts,"Meadow she's home come down."
Meadow ascends down the stairs like a little model, "Oh, you look so cute. let's see the next one. I'll be in the kitchen." Her and Maddie run back up the stairs. I set the calendar in the counter and open the pens. At the top I write my name in purple. Maddie's in blue. Meadows in green. Mom's in pink. Dad's in black. Dallas' in red. I start with my name and schedule. The second of August Court. Then next is Tutoring I write in purple then underline in blue and green. Then I switch back to purple for Fridays, Therapy. I write in Enrollment and shopping in purple. Then I write Birthday in green and underline it in pink on the thirtieth I write TOUR! In pink. Then Meadow appears in the next outfit, "That's so adorable who picked that out?" Mom asks.
"I did." Maddie beams.
"I love it. Go change into shorts and a tank and come eat."
We sit down and Dad makes me say grace, "Dear heavenly dude. Thank you for the food you have so gracefully blesses us with. Thank you for the day with papì and my new parents and Aunts. Thank you for blessing me with the cutest little sister. Please give me the strength to stay strong tomorrow and the rest of the trail. Thank you, dear heavenly beautiful goddess. Amen."
"Amen." Everyone says.
Maddie giggles, "Am I the only one who noticed how she said heavenly dude then said heavenly beautiful goddess?"
Everyone laughs.
I throw a noodle at her, "I was trying to be graceful, little auntie."
"Watch it Lovato - Jonas, I'll crush you."
"Is that a threat?"
"Hey! Not at the dinner table. Eat and be nice to each other."
We eat in silence. Then Meadow models the rest of her clothes for us. By the time she's done it's nine. I'm exhausted.
"Mommy!" I call from my room.
"Yeah?" She asks walking in.
"Will you sleep with me tonight?"
"Yeah, let me change and put Meadow to bed."
"Okay."
Moms back in ten minutes. She turns off the lights and crawls into bed. I cuddle into her. "I love you." She whispers.
"I love you too" I whisper and then fall fast asleep.