chapter 3: dinner

✿ ✿ ✿

✿ ✿ ✿

     Two knocks on my door wake me up. I peel my eyes open slowly and take a glance at my watch. Half past two in the afternoon. I surely slept more hours than I usually do; either way, this night's sleep was highly necessary. I didn't expect to be so exhausted after everything that happened yesterday.

     Too many changes, I guess.

     I shut my eyes again, only to open them again when another knock is heard from outside. I don't even have the time to answer when the door is opened softly. "Hey mi amor."

     (my love)

     Lennox, no... or was he Ezekiel?

     My doubts are resolved when my brother makes his way around my bed: he is Ezekiel, or well, Zeke. "Did you sleep well, baby?"

I'm not a baby, I'm fourteen. I want to tell him. Instead I give him the hundredth nod I've done in two days. I don't know how much time it will take for me to speak to these people I call now my brothers. They'll have to deal with it as long as it lasts. I'm not pressuring myself because of them. I've already got other things more important than this to stress about. If one of them has a problem, he can suck it up.

Ezekiel doesn't speak for a second or two. He seems very comfortable staring at me while I play indifferently with this cozy sweater I really like. It's big, but very comfy and warm.

"Want to get some lunch since you skipped breakfast, hm?" he inquiries, still staring at me. "You'll meet the rest of our brothers in the dining hall."

I get up from the bed, and make my way towards the bathroom. When I get out, Ezekiel's waiting by the opened door. "Come on." He hurries me.

     He guides me through a set of hallways until we get to the dining hall he mentioned earlier. This time, I do memorize which doors I need to open to know my way around this huge house; well more like a mansion. This place is so freaking enormous, I can't believe it's real. It's just like a maze in the format of a house. Like The Maze Runner. The only difference is that there's no Grievers but brothers. But based on the crashing noises last night, I don't think they are much different from each other.

     We enter the silent room and I spot two males sitting by the table, located in the middle of the massive room. One of them is watching something on his phone while finishing breakfast, and the other is sipping what seems to be coffee.

"I'll bring your lunch over, take a seat," Ezekiel orders and I obey him, sitting two sits away from the males. One of them doesn't even lift his head to see me and the other one follows my movements until I'm sat. He furrows his eyebrows when he notices the distance I put between them and I, but then looks down, shakes his head and goes back to do whatever he was doing on his phone.