chapter 14: sleep

✿ ✿ ✿

✿ ✿ ✿

     It's been around two hours since the last time I saw my brother.

     Before he left, both of us had been completely in our worlds: him putting all of his focus on his huge computer — which has two screens may I add — and working relentlessly, whilst I, on the other hand, was devouring my new purchase — a book.

      I had cherished the silence for as long I was able to. Being able to read an engrossing book without having someone bug you or talk to you is such a relaxing hobby. I cannot concentrate on the phrase I'm looking at if I have someone next to me talking my ear off. Unless what the person's trying to get across is of paramount importance, I believe my book deserves my attention more.

     My brother had gotten up out of the blue after getting a phone call, and between three to five minutes he gave a harsh but threatening warning about even daring to think stepping outside the office while he's away. I think I haven't said the words 'I understand' more in my entire life.

     Now I'm sitting quietly on the couch, gazing at the darkness seeping through the window, trying to engulf the room in blackness unsuccessfully cause there are a couple of warm lights turned on. Besides those, the room feels lifeless and vacant. There isn't a piece of decor on my brother's desk and the walls are just covered in a light tone of gray, no pictures, frames or paintings in sight, which is kind of sad. My blood relative's office is colorless. It's like a depressed ghost is living here instead of Mayne.

Whatever, I think as I sigh sluggishly. My gaze falls on the empty water bottle Mayne bought in the supermarket. How I wish I had a new one right now to soothe my throbbing dry throat. I yearn for some good mineral water I can chuck down in less than a minute. It might not be the best idea considering I'd have to rush to the restroom right after but I would give anything to pacify my thirst.

Jumping from the couch, I walk a few steps for my legs to stretch because they have practically been useless during the last three hours since we got here. I examine the folders neatly ordered on a shelf on the opposite side of the room. I approach wearily and sweep my eyes quickly through the blue binders.

Nothing out of the ordinary to be honest, so I turn back on my steps and head for my brother's desk.

I am aware that snooping through his work papers and stuff is morally wrong, but boredom can make people do crazy things: like snooping around.

On top of his desk my brother has left what seemingly looks like a dark black agenda and some stack of papers with lots of texts on them. I busied myself with the first stack for five minutes, then quit because it appeared to be deals with other companies and stuff I unfortunately did not comprehend because the vocabulary was too advanced and formal for my knowledge. I should practice more.