chapter 6: fair

✿ ✿ ✿

✿ ✿ ✿

      I wake up with a loud gasp, right hand over my chest fisting my shirt. I knew this was going to happen. It was bound to happen anytime soon, I just hopelessly thought I would be lucky.

     It felt so real; the feeling of fire facing you, burning your skin even though it was just slightly, the panic that settled in my chest when I discovered my older sister's empty bed, fear running through my veins while I carefully went downstairs again; terror when I came across a huge ball pit of red and angry flames...

     Thinking about it makes me want to curl into a ball and cry. I had never felt so frightened in my whole life.

     My eyes scan my surroundings as I try to take under control the speed of my breathing. I'm still in the living room apparently yet I can not see anyone in sight although it's the most common room a person should be in when staying at your house. Well for some people at least, I, for instance, love staying locked up in my bedroom. I just find the silence that envelopes those four walls peaceful. It's like a small cave were you posses some control of what happens around you; it's your safe place.

     And I was careless to have fall asleep outside of it, where predators eyes follow your every move to point it out and make a big deal out of it. I don't need my brothers to ask me about what took place in that house. And by falling asleep here — on the living room's couch — I'm just skating on thin ice. If any of them would have been here, I would have been gifted with at least a 'are you okay?'.

      Those people haven't been part of my life for ten years, and therefore don't deserve to come up to me and demand answers to questions they formulate. I should have kept my mouth shut this morning when Voski confronted me about the hospital issue. He isn't to be trusted. I need to remind myself of that.

      The only one I'll ever trust is dead now and most of my brothers are not reliable.

      Why did they decide to take me in, is a question that lingers on my mind as I discreetly make my way around the hallways of the first floor and to the stairs leading up to second ground. It seems all luck is on my side when I bump into a hard chest, luckily being able to cath my balance. I scramble back to be able to round the person and go straight into my room but I'm halted by two gentle hand on my shoulders, stopping from getting to the safety of the four walls that have sheltered me these past two days.

      The face of Lennox appears in my line of vision, eyes dancing with a mixture of concern and joy. "You okay there, peque? Where were you going?"

    (little one)

     I furrow my eyebrows a little. "Uh, uh to my r-room," I explain struggling with the words. I should have expected to encounter one of my brothers, they're always everywhere.