chapter 15: attack

Warning; anxiety attack

✿ ✿ ✿

It's a little bit past eight in the morning when some of my brothers join me for breakfast. The first one to enter the huge dining room connected to the kitchen by an opened door, is Nikolai, and I immediately avert my gaze back to my plate so he won't have the chance to spit out another comment to my face. If I don't bother him enough to make my presence noticed, then I'm invisible to him. And being invisible gives me a protective shield to hold between him and me. All in all, we ought to not to look at the dark haired yet angry brother to stay protected.

Following his lead is Kipp in his colorful blue and green pajamas. After I fell asleep yesterday in his company, he must have gone to his room and to bed directly; but the memory of him narrating stories of when we were younger is still embedded in my mind. The stories — although forgotten in my mind — are became more real as each second passed yesterday night. Now I can't stop thinking about them. The fact that I was alive and a participant in these memories but are long gone in my head breaks my heart. My life would have tuned so differently if I had simply known the existence of all of the siblings I really had.

     It's sad that it's only when one of us dies, than I get to meet with them again. Would have Veli told me in the future about them, if she hadn't left so abruptly?

     That's the question lingering in my mind when suddenly a plate is placed on the table next to mine, and Kipp sits down looking at me with a sheepish grin. He points down with his eyebrows at my almost empty plate. "You like pancakes, huh?"

     If my mind were not so focused on coming up with an answer to my questions, then it would have processed faster my older brother's question. Unfortunately for me, it takes about three full seconds to be able to think of an answer, even though it's not that complicated, "Uhh yeah, very much."

     Kipp nods, his smile still plastered on his face. Then he comments, "Yeah, Lennox's cooking breakfast skills are amazing. Between him and Zeke, I bet you won't be going hungry." He laughs. "I've told Zeke several times he should open a restaurant and gain more money from this talent of his, but for some reason he refuses. I'm not sure why though," he explains as he furrows his eyebrows.

     I just smile at his small rambling, not knowing exactly what to answer and opting for letting the silence engulf the room. Although it is short-lived as his twin crosses the threshold between the kitchen and dining room and sits opposite to Kipp.

     Unexpectedly, my nails become the most fascinating thing in the world as the twins engage in a conversation in Spanish, which I obviously don't understand, therefore I'm not interested in attempting to make out what they're saying.