chapter 5: fire

✿ ✿ ✿

✿ ✿ ✿

     After talking with Voski, I felt scared.

     It took some time for me to spill out then bare bones about what happened, but he surprisingly stayed as serene and pacific as he always is. Although I left out the most crucial yet dangerous part of it. I think he might have understood more or less my fear of hospitals. He made a deal with me.

He will get me checked at home. Lennox, who is a qualified and professional doctor will bring to the house any equipment that's necessary and he'll make sure none of my burns or cuts get infected, as apparently Mayne has acted as a snitch and described to Voski how my arm looks right now. I made a mental note to myself to never tell one of my brothers anything I don't want the others to know. Not that I wanted any of them to know this of course.

     He believes I'm super duper okay with what he has arranged.

Actually, I'm not.

I dreaded going to my family's clinic just an hour ago and now I'm dreading getting my wounds check by Lennox. I can understand my wounds definitely don't look very good at the moment. Instead of a white canvas my arm is a colorful and vibrant one with cuts all over it. A result of that dark time in my life I will never allow myself to talk about. I had Veli; she helped me get up, pulled me out of that place and never — without exception — acted as I was some dramatic as well as attention-seeker twelve year old. These brothers of mine don't have the necessity to be aware of what has been going on in my life for the past years. That's a period of my life I shared with Veli and nobody else, they weren't involved in it for some odd reason I would like to know — but I don't. If they didn't want us back then why now take my guardianship? There's too much stuff I can't seem to comprehend. It's frustrating.

I sigh tiredly. Fidgeting nervously with my nails as I patiently wait for Kipp to come back with his laptop so he and I can look up online some clothes for me. As comfy as Kipp's sweatpants and hoodies feel, I really need ones that fit my body. Not the one of a eighteen-year-old boy who unluckily for me, has got the genes of a giant. I can barely get up to his chest with my head. It must run in their blood because Veli was just as tall as Voski. I hope one day it'll be my turn.

I'm slightly taken back when Kipp floppes down on the couch happily and opens his grey and expensive laptop. He grins at me for a second before going back to the bright screen and typing down internet shops names. I sit there unsure what to do next as he opens tabs after tabs, all with online clothes shops and some others that seem familiar to me.

Although I can't exactly tell which ones they are because I'm not facing the laptop's screen but peering down at it through my peripheral vision. I glance around the living room in hopes of finding something to entertain myself with when I hear a voice chime, "Okay. Good, yes. Here you go, hermanita."