ⅰ. Separated

1991

1991

it was never about the money. it was never about the alcohol. it was never about the weed. well kinda, Mazzy loved her weed but other than that, nothing else mattered. the only thing that mattered was getting back to her sister, Angeline. they were only 12 and 13 when they got separated because CPS was called on their alcoholic and druggie father who occasionally beats them.

they were on their way from school, Mazzy made sure Angeline would walk with her to and from school. as every other older sibling, she'd always taken care of her little sister. even though they are half sisters, they had different moms and the same dad, they've always treated each other as real sister because they were all that they had.

"Mazzy, i don't wanna go home" Angeline peeped. she knew they would get another beating because they were late to school this morning.

"yeah i know kid. it'll be okay" was all she said. Mazzy tried calming down her sister even though she was probably more scared but she had to stay strong for her.

"but whatever happens, i want you to stay strong. call 911 when we get home and just hide in the bathroom okay? i'll find you again if we get separated Angie, i promise" Angie nodded and hugged her big sister outside of their door before going in.

Mazzy opens the door to pure silence which is pretty weird in her situation. usually her father is yelling at something in particular or them. as they walked through the door trying to be quiet, slowly walking up the stairs, Angie feels a hand grasp her hair and pull her down the stairs. she screams and falls onto her back.

"why were you both late to school this morning? is it that fucking hard to get ready and be on time?!" their father yells.

"well for your information, we kinda have to walk because you're too busy being passed out on the couch, drunk!" Mazzy yells back while trying to help her sister back up from the hard impact. obviously her father didn't appreciate her tone, so he pushed her to the floor and started hitting her. Mazzy could always take his beatings, she'd rather it be her than Angie. if anything, she was so used to it by now, she found it so normal.

"so you think you're so grown now talkin' like that to your old man?!" he shouted in her face. she scowled at him, "you were never my old man from the start. i will never consider you or call you my dad" she calmly said, whenever she spoke to him she made sure her words were filled with venom. he only smirked whenever she would speak to him like that, not taking her seriously.

Angie on the other hand, she followed what her sister said before they got home. she grabbed their cordless house phone and ran into the bathroom, dialing 911.

"911, what's your emergency?" the lady on the other end of the phone asked calmly.

"please send help. he's beating my sister downstairs. he's drunk and beating her!" the 12 year old exclaimed.

"okay, what's your name honey? i need you to be brave right now and take a deep breath for me. tell me your address and help will be on the way" the lady softly spoke. Angie ended up telling the lady where they lived and hid in the bathroom hearing muffled yelling.

Mazzy wondered where she was in the time being, considering that's all that was on her mind. her father had finally stopped beating her and left her to bleed on the floor. but she'd rather bleed than see his face again. her vision started to get blurry until she heard sirens approach her neighborhood.

suddenly Angie ran out of the bathroom opening their front door, sighing in relief. Mazzy couldn't hear anything though, she was too dizzy and out of it to focus on anything. it took everything in her to stay awake but she did feel a presence next to her, hoping it was her sister and not that man who never loved the two teens.

next thing she knew, she was in a hospital bed. she woke up to the smell of chemicals and the sight of white walls. where's her sister? what happened to her "father"? is he in jail? she hopes to God he was in jail or even dead. usually people would judge her for saying that but she didn't care. she hated him so much. despised him even. she'd never wanna see him again.

the nurse walked in, "oh you're awake! you can call me Helen. it's nice to see that you're feeling better" Helen smiled. Mazzy always disliked hospitals. it made her feel uncomfortable but she didn't hate them either. she could handle it for a short period of time. but she wanted to know where Angie was.

"where's my sister? is she okay?" Mazzy was soon starting to ramble and ask a lot of questions. the nurse soon spoke.

"your sister is in the next room. she's just resting right now. only a few marks and bruises. she'll be okay though" Helen smiled once again. Mazzy found it oddly comforting whenever Helen would smile. it was bright and genuine. she knew the nurse had a great smile, kinda wishing hers was like that. Mazzy never smiled anymore, she felt too tired to do so. it felt wrong to smile and be happy, she just never knew how it felt anymore.

the next day she was able to see her sister again. they were both sitting in Angie's room. relieved that they were away from him and finally together.

"so what happened to him? did he get arrested or what?" Mazzy asked her sister.

"yeah, he did. but i think we're gonna get separated Mazzy, i'm scared. CPS is now involved and we have no where to stay! at least i think, i don't know-" Angie was soon cut off by Mazzy.

"listen, whatever happens, we'll be fine. like i said, i'll find you again and we'll have a better life. he's gonna be gone for a long time and we have nothing to worry about" she hugged her sister. she knew she had to find her sister once again and keep her safe. she didn't know how she'd do it but she will eventually succeed.