"In Sepia"

In sepia, their love was as crisp as 1954. When they first met it was like heaven, she glowed in his eyes with her flirty yellow dress and pearls. When she saw him, her world stopped for a minute, until it sped back up when she realized she stared too long...too strong.

Her emerald eyes glimmered at him, while her heat curled brunette locks fluttered in the subtle winds of nostalgia and love. Then his eyes met hers, and they locked, their hearts reaching out of their chest to touch. The spring air blanketed their faces, chilling their cheeks. Gazes averting after 30 seconds, but they knew...

Day by day, they stared again and again. Gradually, slight smirks and subtle smiles were added to the routine. She would blush, and his pearls would peek from his warm flesh pink lips when he saw her rosy face. Then came, June, and June was quite the month.

Summer nights began to fill with smells of cotton candy and popcorn. The black starry skies challenged by the glimmering colorful lights of the county fair rides, and the area engorged with shrieks of excitement and laughter of joy. She was there, tip toeing the place, she wasn't use to these things and was shy and unsure. He glanced up from the court, and smiled...it was time.

"Hi." He said, barely keeping breath to speak to her. He was smiling calmly but inside he was mesmerized by her beauty.

Shocked at him being there. At him speaking to her, at the sound of his voice, oh how she imagined the sound of his voice...and now she knew. She replied and kept coy, "oh, hi." She smiled but looked down, unsure how to continue or engage with him.

"What's your name?" He said in a rather deep mature tone.

"Dianne..."

"Oh, I'm Walter." He responded. Her heart was racing. His was pounding.

"Do...do you wanna ride the Ferris wheel with me?" He suggested in an anxious tone.

"Oh, that sounds fun. Yes." She giggled nervously, "I'd like that."

Together, they hopped on the circulating ride. Slowly rising high, as they got to know each other and laugh at the awkwardness of it all. It was so spontaneous so rushed, but mutually in their hearts, they felt it was right. They stalled at the top. Noticing the stars and seeing the whole town from up there, it was stunning.

He placed his hand on hers, with a rush of sensation in him. She never thought it would happen, but a boy had stole her heart, she was scared, but was absolutely loving the thrill of it. The Ferris wheel spun down, traversing them through the trials of love and life, but intertwining the souls in which they bared to each other.

In timely manner, their perception went from sepia to color, and the ride ended, restarting once more in the infinity of timeless love... The town spread and grew like flowers in the foothills. Crows feet and gray hair shading their future. They were at the top of the wheel again, only this time for their anniversary.

He placed his course hand on her dainty wrinkled hand like he did the first time they met. Feeling the same sparks of love, stealing her heart all over again. She kissed him on the cheek, and made him smile like she always made him smile when he was just 19. Laying her head on his shoulder, they stared at the view, reminiscing in sepia, with a unspoken realization that they made it.