Part 5

Maya's POV

"My mom" I said as she opened the door to her apartment and I hugged her, her giving me a hug back.

"Thank you for coming Maya, I would have probably drilled all the way through the wall, you are a real lifesaver" she said to me as she lead me inside showing me to the shelves and where she wanted them.

"What are these for again ?" I ask her, I was just too tired to remember.

"To put up some old photos, I found my old photo album, I thought they would look nice, would you like a drink ?" She asked me.

"Coffee please, as strong as you can make it, can I see the photo album" I asked her.

"Of course, I'll get you that coffee and I'll go find it, I think I put it in my room somewhere" she told me leaving to make the coffee and to find it.

By the time she returns with the coffee and a croissant on a little plate I had already put up the first shelf.

"Thank you" I said to her as she walked to her room.

After about another 5 minutes I had finished with the final shelf and was just packing my things away.

"Found it" she said coming out of her room and heading over to the sofa, I picked up my cup of coffee and followed her over.

"I don't think I've ever seen baby photos of me" I said to her.

"I completely forgot I had them, my must have been under my bed for the past 20 years." She told me as she opened the book to reveal several baby photos of me. Some were very cute while others were so embarrassing.

"Look how cute you are in this one, sat on your little pony" she said pointing to a photo on the right.

"Awww that's so cute, I remember having that horse, I never wanted to get rid of it." I said to her.

"That's right, you were so big you were twice the size of it but never got off it" she said as we both laughed and continued to look through photos until I started to notice something weird.

"Mom who do I look different in this photo, in all the others my eyes are bright blue, but this one they are almost green" I ask her as a panicked look appears on her face.

"That photo was not meant to be in here" she said quickly grabbing the photo out of the album and putting it to the side.

"what do you mean" I asked her confused.

"It's nothing honey, don't worry about it, what another coffee" she asked.

"Mom stop trying to distract me with a different subject, why is that photo in the album" I said getting angry at her that she was obviously lying.

"I'm not honey, I just wondered if you wanted another one that's all" she said with a smile, not bothered at all.

"Give me the photo" I said as I held out my hand.

"I can't" she said.

"You can" I replied.

"I really can't" she repeated.

"Well then" I said before snatching the photo off her to take another look. On closer inspection I see that there is a few more differences, our eye colours are slightly different and the person in this photo has a small mole right above their left eye.

"Mom this isn't me is it" I said not so angry this time.

"Of course it is, don't be stupid" she told me trying to get the photo back but I stepped away.

"Don't lie to me" I said.

"Fine, it's your cousin, Mabel" she said to me.

"Mom you and dad don't have siblings and I don't have a cousin Mabel, I'm giving you one final chance before I tell you who I think it is." I tell her.

"I'm telling the truth!" She shouted.

"Mom, no you are not, I think this is my twin sister! Want to know how I know that? Well carina, just yesterday told me she thinks I have a twin sister and I don't her she was being crazy, but now, I think she's right" I said with a loud voice.

"How.... How did she know" she asked about to cry.

"It doesn't matter how she knew, just tell me everything" I shout at her.

"Fine, but please sit down, you standing is making me nervous" she said as a tear rolled down her face and I sat down on the opposite sofa.

"When I went for my ultrasound, me and your father were over the moon to see your face, but when the ultrasound showed 2 babies your father got so angry as soon as he got home he slapped me around the face telling me it was all my fault and that he didn't want to children, it would be twice the money, twice the crying, and twice the amount of attention we would have to give. He wanted me to get an abortion but I just couldn't do it, eventually he agreed to keep you both, I already loved you both so much and I couldn't let you die. I gave birth to you at 32 weeks pregnant, but on different days, you were born first, followed by your sister addy 20 minutes later. I knew I was in love with you from that very moment, you were both so beautiful. At the hospital you were both so well behaved and didn't cry so when we took you home your father was also very in love with both of you, singing and reading stories. But that night the both of you could not stop crying, we each took it in turns and this happened for about 2 months until one morning I woke you to feed you, only to find you in your crib and not addy, I shouted for your father saying she was gone, that's when he told me he had left her at a fire station somewhere in the middle of the night. He said it was because addy didn't have the 'potential' she was always crying. So he just got rid of her, I tried and tried and tried to figure out where he had taken her but I couldn't find her, I tried for years but things only started getting worse between your father and I, I decided you never needed to know that you were a twin." She told me as she had tears streaming down her face, and I realised that I did too.

"Why.......why did you never tell me, it's a very important part of my life, I share my exact DNA with another person" I asked her.

"I didn't think I'd ever find her again, what was the point of tell you, I still don't know why I told you, because what's the point, I don't even know where she is and she probably hates me, all of us for abandoning her." She told me still crying.

"Mom things have changed now, it's easier to find people and that's what carina did, accidentally, I shouted at my wife but she was right this whole time, the person she thought was me and her patient, that was my sister." I told her.

"She's pregnant then ? If she is carina's patient right ?" She asks.

"Yes she is, but I have never met her only carina, and I don't plan on meeting her, carina is my family, if you want to find her, go ahead but it's none of my business, I've gone 23 years without a sister and I don't need one now, I'm still mad at you for not telling me though, this could have been a big thing in my life and you were keeping me from it. Is there anything else you are not telling me ?" I tell her as I get up.

"I promise that is the only thing I have ever kept from you Maya, where are you going ?" She asked me.

"This conversation is over mom, I've been up for 30 hours straight with no sleep, I can't deal with this anymore, I'm going home to my wife" I said to her before grabbing my stuff and leaving.