Chapter Nineteen

Rhysand's POV

Rhys' mind was in scrambles, but after 50 years of hiding it, he had no struggle doing so for one week.

Mor was furious with the male - and rightfully so. He had gone behind her back and worked with the males she despised most without any warning, without any attempt to approach her beforehand.

But in his 500 years of life, working solo for so long came at a wake-up cost now and again. It was moments like these - where he hurt his brothers and sisters - that he wondered if he should have remained Under the Mountain a few decades longer.

A tap on his mental shields.

He hadn't realised he had blocked Feyre out.

She tugged on the bond. He gave a stroke in answer - the only contact he could bear with his mind like this.

He had promised he would always let her into his mind - and he would never break that promise. But he could not bring himself to willingly subject his wife and High Lady to the wreckage that was his mind.

Feyre was currently responding to correspondence from the other High Lords - another task she had taken off his forever growing list. But his beautiful Feyre - she was a blessing by his side to help him share that burden. He thanked the stars every day for listening to his dreams, and answering every one of them.

But beyond his list of duties, one of those stars was the focus of his attention now.

He had given his younger sister time to process the mating bond - had told the others to do the same. In fact, he'd gone so far as to place a ward around the girl's room to ensure only those she wished to enter could do so, aside from in any emergency circumstances. Nuala and Cerridwen had been ordered to provide food and water; any supplies Celeste needed or desired, in fact.

The door had not been opened in five days.

Celeste did not call on the twins once.

Rhys stepped closer to the door. Knocked. 

No answer.

'Celeste.' He tried. 'Celeste, it's me. It's Rhys.' He again. 'Can I come in?'

Nothing.

'I'm going to enter if you don't respond.'

A few seconds went by. Just as the Illyrian was about to force his way into the room, a few clicks sounded from the other side of the door, and it peaked open just a crack.

Darkness is all the seeped from the other side - that, and the wreaking of spoiled food. He nudged his boot forward - plates clattered to the side, peas and potatoes and beef spilling onto the carpet. The only china reflecting any semblance of life's presence was a mug, half filled with water.

'Celeste.' Rhys hadn't dared lift his gaze until now. 'Celeste-' his voice broke at the site before him.

The girl sat on the edge of the bed, her bones too frail to hold herself upright. Her hair - once the shade of a delicate brown fox's fur - was dull and brittle, matted in more places than one. Her eyes were empty as they stared up at him - soulless.

Celeste had fought when she was thrown into the Cauldron - she had glared and pointed and threatened that King, a promise she would uphold for the rest of time if she had to. She had fought to keep her sisters beliefs separate from her own - to take advantage of the new life she had been given and do with it whatever she dreamed of. She would use the fire given to her to fuel her every move, and leave a simmering trail of ashes in her every wake.

Celeste had fought time and time again, and Rhys never thought that fire he had admired so much would ever dwindle out.

'I want to go home.'

Rhys held back his tears.

There was no fire left in Celeste for her burn. 

~~~~~

A/N:

Hey everyone! It's me again... *awkward waves*

So remember when I said I was going to publish the next day?

Well, that didn't happen... but, this outcome is better anyway, probably, maybe, not for Celeste but for you guys or... well, the author in me at least!

I hope you guys enjoy! I'm going to keep writing for now, not sure when the next chapter will be up but trust me - I'm on it😎

I'll see you guys in the next one! Charlotte🤍💫

P.s. RIP those plates Rhys destroyed, 2023-2023. You will be missed🫡