Chapter Twenty-Eight

Celeste's POV

When Celeste envisioned the Autumn land, stunning leaves of all hues, flowing rivers and people all around, basking in the new warmth of the season.

What she met was unlike any of the visions dreamed of in her mind.

She was met with scorns and frowns at every corner. No bubbles of laughter like she heard in Velaris. No joyous festivals or cheering crowds.

It was night, but no reminiscence of a Velaris night could be found. Not even a star in the sky was the same as she could see at home. They were duller, darker, far more dreary than she had seen even back in the mortal realms.

The male beside her, arm linked to her own, paused, turning to face the girl. He took both her hands in his own as his eyes glistened, and Eris asked, 'what do you think, Celeste?'

He looked like a puppy, wide eyed. Like he was innocent to the harms of the world, would break at the hurt of a fly. How could anyone in Velaris say a word against him?

And she would not be the one to break that innocence in those amber eyes.

So, she smiled. 'It's beautiful, Eris.'

He beamed at that. 'You really think so?' His words came out in a ramble. 'I know it's only your first night here, but seeing you that night - I just-' he let out a breath, chuckling under his breath as he shook his head at himself. 'Thank you. For joining me. And for coming to my home.'

Celeste ignored the sinking feeling in her gut. Something was so off - so wrong. She couldn't pinpoint it - if it was the land, or Eris, or the fact Lucien had dropped her off and vanished, leaving her feeling vulnerable, a deer in headlights. She knew not a soul, nor a speck of this ground. Eris was her only anchor to this place - and she wasn't sure he was doing much to keep that swirling feeling at bay.

'Thank you for letting me stay here,' she smiled, placing a hand on his arm. She could pretend she was fine here. For a little longer, she could pretend. 'I know it's not... easy, to have someone like me-'

'I wouldn't have anyone else stay with me,' he cut her off. His gaze was so strong on her own, she almost believed him.

For some reason, she didn't.

But, she continued. She stayed.

Stayed long enough for the male to drop his hand to her hand, and intertwine their fingers. Sick.

Long enough for him to take her back to his Forest House - the one bright place in the Autumn Court. Built around trees and rocks, and more levels to the complex than could be seen to the eye. It was sprawling, but a masterpiece like no other place she had seen in the area. It was so large as he showed her around, she almost thought she might be able to find solace by her lonesome in one of these halls some day. Away from the rest of the world, she might be able to find home after all.

Even though she thought home would be the man lying beside her as they fell asleep. Because even as he held her, she did not feel her heart belonged to him at all.

It extended to a land far out of reach from the Autumn Court.

But she had left that home. She could not turn back - and she would not succumb to the weakness of wanting to, for he had made his choice.

So she would have to make hers.