Chapter Thirty

Eris's POV
'It's done,' he told the High Lord. 'The girl is out of the Night Court, and in the custody of our land.'

Beron smiled - if you could call it such. 'Good.'

His father was little more than a beast in a human's body. But that's what Eris loved about his father, even if there was only one thing. He loved the one part of himself that he could see in those dangerous eyes - that glimmer of connection that bound them beyond just blood.

Beron was cruel.

Eris could be, too.

'Did she know?'

Eris' snarl matched his father's externally - but his blood didn't feel as chilled by the calculated cruelty as usual.

He had never felt the sinking he had in his stomach as he did now. Perhaps messing with the Mother's plan was the reason - he had never tempted such a fate before.

He had manipulated and bruised so many other women, and this time had been alike in every way.

Every way except one.

None of those women had been Celeste. None of them had been as beautiful as her, as kind and curious as her.

A smothering sensation crawled up his neck as he stood before his father, seeing his lips move, but hearing no sound pass through.

It didn't feel right to do that to Celeste. It hadn't felt right to trick her in such a way.

But Eris had done it, and he could not take back what he had done.

So, he pushed that odd feeling down, and kept his facade up. Any semblance of remorse would be forgotten. It had to be forgotten if he wanted to make this out alive. The deed was done, but his promise to his father was not.

Being taken by the Mother's had was one thing - but his father's, Eris would never accept.

Which meant Eris could not stop until he did the right thing - fulfilled the bargain he made so many years ago to his father.

No matter how inexplicably wrong it felt to do so if that person he unknowingly made it against was Celeste.

~~~~~~~

A/N:
Oooh, what is this mysterious bargain... and do we think Eris' tricks the day prior only stopped as their walk did?🤔

Let me know what you think is happening below!!! Thank you for reading, and I can't wait to update more for you guys again soon!!

Yours Truly, Charlotte🤍💫